RETURN TO CAMPUS | HUMAN RESOURCES
Flexible Work Arrangement (FWA)
As announced on June 2, 2021, all staff, contract professionals, and non-bargaining unit faculty are eligible to request an FWA. (Please note that further discussions are pending with Akron-AAUP regarding bargaining unit faculty eligibility).
In order to enable an orderly implementation, the following timeline has been established.
- Week of June 7 - Release FWA Policy and application materials.
- June 18 - The FWA form must be submitted to the first-level supervisor by this date.
- July 2 - All first-level supervisors must have met with employee(s) to discuss FWA requests by this date. The first-level supervisor must either advance a recommendation to the second-level supervisor or inform the employee the FWA request is denied.
- July 6 - All employees must return to their on-campus office on July 6 unless an employee has an FWA request pending with the second-level supervisor or has a fully approved FWA in place.
- July 9 - For pending requests not decided by July 2, second-level supervisors must respond to the first-level supervisor indicating approval or denial of the FWA by July 9.
- July 12 - First-level supervisors must inform employees of FWA request status no later than this date and, if approved, coordinate implementation.
- HR will review approvals or denials as they are received and reach out to departments with any questions or concerns regarding arrangements.
The FWA policy is ongoing, and new FWAs or changes to existing FWAs may be requested at any time. The implementation timeline serves as a guideline for initial implementation to correspond with the physical return of employees to campus following the COVID-19 pandemic.
FWA Policy & Forms
Resources and Training
Frequently Asked Questions
Question & Answer Sessions
There will be two sessions available for employees and two sessions for supervisors who have questions regarding the FWA policy and procedures.
To register, you must email Labor Relations at LaborRelations@uakron.edu. Registration will be limited in all sessions to ensure your questions are answered.
In Person Question-and-Answer Sessions
- In-Person Q&A Session for Employees: Thursday, June 17 at 11 a.m. Due to limited available seating, please contact LaborRelations@uakron.edu for location to confirm your attendance.
- In-Person Q&A Session for Supervisors: Wednesday, June 23 at 10 a.m. Due to limited available seating, please contact LaborRelations@uakron.edu for location to confirm your attendance.
Microsoft Teams Question-and-Answer Sessions
- Microsoft Teams Q&A Session for Employees: Thursday, June 17 at 12:30 p.m. Please email LaborRelations@uakron.edu to confirm attendance and receive the link or call-in information for this session.
- Microsoft Teams Q&A Session for Supervisors: Wednesday, June 23 at 11:30 a.m. Please email LaborRelations@uakron.edu to confirm attendance and receive the link or call-in information for this session.
General Training Materials
Topics included in this learning collection:
- Leading at a Distance
- Enhance Productivity in a Hybrid Work Environment
- Executive Presence on Video Conference Calls
- Tips for Working Remotely
- Organizing Your Remote Office for Maximum Productivity
- Staying Organized While Working Remotely or On-Site
- Time Management: Working from Home
- Building Relationships While Working from Home
- Leading Virtually: Vulnerability and Presence when Working from Home
- Managing Virtual Teams