Snow closing information
The safety of students, faculty and staff is the University's highest priority.
When severe weather threatens our ability to operate safely or when emergencies arise, the president (or their designee) will base their decision to close or cancel classes by based on information from these sources.
- University Police will check the condition of campus sidewalks and parking lots.
- City and county law-enforcement agencies will report road conditions in surrounding areas and the highways.
- The National Weather Service, the Ohio State Patrol and the Summit County Sheriff may issue weather advisories that would inform our decision-making.
The decision to close will be made as early as possible.
News of closing will be disseminated several ways:
- Text messaging: Alerts will be sent via the University's Z-Alert text messaging service. Our quickest way to get you University advisories. Learn more and subscribe.
- Web: Closing information will be posted on the University's home page.
- E-mail: A message will be sent to students' and employees' University email boxes.
- Social media via Twitter.
- Radio and TV: Closing information will be provided to major radio and television stations in Akron, Canton and Cleveland.
- Phone: The University's emergency information phone line is updated as conditions warrant. The number is 330-972-SNOW (7669) or 330-972-6238 (TDD/Voice).
University colleges/departments are encouraged to establish a method for communicating the closing decision to department personnel.
Buchtel Hall on a winter morning.
Photo by @steveekaufman on Twitter.