Choose lifestyle practices and socially responsible activities that preserve, protect and improve the environment.
- Conserve water and other resources
- Print as little as necessary
- Walk or bike to your destination
- Carpool when driving is necessary
- Borrow or fix rather than buy
- Engage in volunteering and service projects
- UA Recycling
- The University of Akron's list of all items that you can recycle on campus. Contact info is also listed for any questions.
- Tabacco-free campus
- Learn more about The University of Akron's commitment to being a tobacco- and nicotine-free campus.
- MetroZip is a program that allows all University students, faculty and staff to ride any regular Metro route in Summit County free of charge simply by swiping their Zip Card!
- Service opportunities
- While not exclusively for environmental wellness, serveAkron offers a variety of service events and volunteer opportunities for students to promote stewardship and civic engagement.
- Outdoor Adventure
- The Outdoor Adventure program helps individuals and groups engage in adventure experiences for escape, education, and enjoyment. Get outside with us and expand your outdoor horizons!
- Geology and Environmental Science Degree Program
- The program instructs more than 150 undergraduate students. Our research covers hydrogeology, paleoclimate reconstruction, climate change, sedimentology, geochemistry, geobiology, and geochemistry.
- Biking initiative
- We encourage students to ride their bikes. The University of Akron has been working with the City of Akron in an effort to make biking on and around the university campus more friendly.
Community and national resources
- Keep Akron Beautiful
- Keep Akron Beautiful (KAB) is a nonprofit organization that was established in 1981 to implement a comprehensive litter prevention, recycling promotion and beautification program for the City of Akron.
- DASH shuttle service
- DASH is downtown Akron's free weekday shuttle service. It is a loop route that travels in a circle from our Transit Center, around downtown and to The University of Akron.
- Cuyahoga River Water Trail
- The proposed Cuyahoga River Water Trail will seek to increase public access to and along the Cuyahoga River for all people, promoting the health and beauty of the river, safer paddling experiences, and economic development in nearby communities.
- Countryside Conservancy
- Countryside supports community-based food systems throughout Northeast Ohio. This unique non-profit organization helps re-establish farms in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park and runs farmers' markets in the greater Akron area.
- Cuyahoga Valley National Park
- With opportunities for hiking, running, cycling, mountain biking, paddling, fishing, and birding, Cuyahoga Valley National Park has a wide variety of recreational oporunities for all. The Towpath Trail and Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad are among CVNP's most unique partners.
- Leave No Trace Center for Outdoor Ethics
- The Leave No Trace Center for Outdoor Ethics is a national organization that protects the outdoors by teaching and inspiring people to enjoy it responsibly.
- Environmental Protection Agency – Climate Change
- The EPA works to ensure that Americans have clean air, land and water.