Michael James and Thomas Edward Flannery Scholarship
The Office of Accessibility invites you to apply for the Michael James and Thomas Edward Flannery scholarships for the 2018-2019 school year. This scholarship was established in 2013 through a gift from the estate of the late Sally Flannery Orrok. It was Mrs. Orrok’s intention to establish this scholarship in her sons’ memory. Michael and Thomas both lived with muscular dystrophy. They both attended The University of Akron in the late 1970’s before passing away from complications related to their illness Mrs. Orrok was grateful to the faculty, staff, and students who assisted her sons during their time at The University of Akron.
The scholarship will be awarded to two students whom are registered with the Office of Accessibility. The scholarship monies are $900 total per student, with $450 being dispersed Fall 2018 semester and $450 being dispersed Spring 2019 semester.
To qualify for the scholarship you must:
- Have been actively using accommodations through the Office of Accessibility for more than 2 consecutive semesters.
- Be registered for more than 6 credit hours for the Fall 2018 semester.
- Be enrolled in an undergraduate degree.
- Have a grade point average that is greater than 2.5.
You are also required to type a detailed, well written essay, including the following items (be sure to specifically write about each bullet point):
- Describe your college experience as a student with a disability.
- Describe how the Office of Accessibility has impacted your experience at The University of Akron.
- Summarize school and community activities and services.
- Detail leadership skills.
- Discuss why you feel you would be an ideal candidate for the scholarship.
If you believe you qualify for the scholarship, and are interested in applying, please go to this link to fill out the application and submit your essay online.
The scholarship application and essay must be submitted to the Office of Accessibility NO LATER than Friday, July 20, 2018. The Office of Accessibility will contact the winning participants no later than Friday, August 3. If you are chosen as the recipient of the Flannery Scholarship, you will be awarded the monies AFTER a thank you letter is written to the Department of Development to provide to the donor.