2020 OBDC High School Honor Band
Saturday, Dec. 5, 2020
Each year, The University of Akron hosts an Honor Band for high school students as part of the Ohio Band Directors Conference. Due to the virtual presentation of this year's conference, the OBDC Honor Band will be a virtual performance experience.
Auditions and fees are waived, students are only required to receive recommendation from their director to participate. The Virtual Honor Band will be featured during the OBDC on Saturday, Dec. 5th beginning at 3 p.m. and will conclude by 5 p.m.
How the virtual band will work / Participation requirements:
The audition requirement and fee are waived this year (2020).
- Interested students need to register (below)
- The student's director will be asked to complete a Director Recommendation Form for each applicant.
- Email Galen S. Karriker at firstname.lastname@example.org to receive a copy of the Director Recommendation Form.
- Those invited to join in the band, will receive detailed recording instructions and music to prepare.
- Regarding repertoire, stylistic and recording instructions, and how to submit your audio/video.
- Then the student will submit video/audio for inclusion in a “Virtual” Honor Band performance during the OBDC Conference.
Schedule of events & deadlines:
|Monday, Nov. 9
(11:59 p.m. EST)
|Registration Deadline for students to register for participation
|Wednesday, Nov. 11||Distribution of music to students (part assignments will be based on director recommendation)|
|Saturday, Nov. 14||Distribution of faculty "tutorial videos" to students|
|Wednesday, Nov. 18
(5 - 6 p.m.)
|Virtual sectional with UA Applied Faculty to work on J.S. Jig|
|Monday, Nov. 23
(11:59 p.m. EST)
|Students submit recordings (video and audio)
|Friday, Dec. 4
(3 - 4:30 p.m.)
|UA Applied Faculty masterclass / clinic .for OBDC Honor Band students and any directors who wish to attend
|Saturday, Dec. 5
(3 - 5 p.m.)
|Virtual 2020 OBDC Conference (Honor Band performance will occur toward the end of the event)|
Contact Galen Karriker, Director of Bands at 330-972-6180 or email email@example.com