2022 OBDC High School Honor Band
Friday & Saturday, Dec. 2 - 3, 2022
Each year, The University of Akron hosts an Honor Band for high school students as part of the Ohio Band Directors Conference.
- Interested students can start the application here
- Deadline to submit recordings will be - Monday, October 17, 2022
- Students who wish to send in a physical recording must do so on a CD – with name and instrument clearly marked and send it to:
- The University of Akron Bands
Re: OBDC Honor Band Audition
157 University Ave.
Akron, OH 44325-1002
- The University of Akron Bands
Audition Format: Compact Disc or upload a non-stop and unedited audition recording to a site such as YouTube, Vimeo, etc. and supply the link to that recording on the registration document.
- We prefer to receive recordings with both audio and video so the applied faculty can see and hear you play. However, if this is not feasible, an audio recording is sufficient.
- If you are performing a Class A or B solo that has piano accompaniment, you do NOT need to record with an accompanist. Simply perform the solo and feel free to skip any long rests / pauses accordingly
- Each student must announce his/her name and instrument clearly at the beginning of the recording.
- Once complete they should then record the following scales (see Scale Requirements below) and a Class A or B solo from the OMEA Solo and Ensemble Required List or OR a comparable etude—please announce the title and composer of the solo work or etude.
- Percussionists are required to record a Class A or B snare solo (rudimental OR concert is acceptable), and a xylophone OR marimba solo (no accompaniment required)—please announce the title and composer for each solo work.
- Percussionists are also encouraged, but not required, to record a timpani etude: choose any ONE of the four-drum etudes from Saul Goodman’s Modern Method for Timpani.
- FLUTE: D major scale—3 octaves to high B—slurred.
- OBOE: B major and Db major scales—2 octaves—slurred.
- BASSOON: Bb chromatic scale—3 octaves—slurred.
- CLARINET: Eb major scale—2 octaves—slurred.
- SAXOPHONE: Bb major scale—2 octaves—tongued.
- FRENCH HORN: F major scale—2 octaves—slurred.
- TRUMPET: C major scale—2 octaves—slurred.
- TROMBONE/EUPH: Bb major scale—2 octaves—tongued.
- BASS TROMBONE: Bb major scale—2 octaves—tongued.
- TUBA: Ab major scale—2 octaves—tongued.
- PERCUSSION: No scales required
After the initial screening of applicants, all students will receive notification of their status in early November.
Those students selected to the OBDC Honor Band will receive chair-placement audition materials and additional information about the schedule via email in early November.
A $35 fee for administrative costs is required for participation, and can be paid during the OBDC Honor Band registration when students arrive on campus in December.
UA Applied Wind & Percussion Faculty
- FLUTE: Lindsay Leach-Sparks
- OBOE: Jack S. Cozen Harel
- BASSOON: Cynthia Cioffari
- CLARINET: Stanislav Golovin
- SAXOPHONE: Todd Gaffke
- TRUMPET: Jim Johnson
- HORN: Kiirsi Manuala Johnson
- TROMBONE: Elisabeth Shafer
- EUPHONIUM/TUBA: Chris Blaha
- PERCUSSION: Larry Snider
Contact Galen Karriker, Director of Bands at 330-972-6180 or email firstname.lastname@example.org