Beatriz and James Houmard Scholarship
Student Level: Graduate
Distribution: Annual Award
The scholarship supports nontraditional students who are pursuing master's degrees in the Buchtel College of Arts and Sciences at UA, to assist in the completion of their master's thesis research. The award is intended to cover master's thesis cost such as travel to collect data (overnight lodging/gas), copying expenses, production expenses such as maps or color charts, or expenses to produce the final thesis copy.
Application Criteria and Procedures:
- The applicant must be a graduate student whose education has been interrupted for at least one year.
- The applicant must be pursuing a master's degree, with a thesis, in the Buchtel College of Arts and Sciences.
- The applicant should be in the research stage of the project (not the proposal stage).
- The applicant must demonstrate financial need.
- The applicant must have a history of high academic performance.
The application consists of two letters (no form):
- A letter (1-3 pages) describing background, studies, expected graduation date, career objectives and the nature and length of the interruption of education. The letter should also explain in great detail the research that is required to complete the thesis and how the award would assist the process. The applicant should also address how the award will contribute to alleviating financial need and what other financial support has been received twoard thesis research.
- One letter of reference from master's thesis advisor addressing the topics above and describing the applicant's potential contributions to the field.
All application materials should be sent as a complete packet, labeled with the applicant's name, street address, email address and phone number to:
The University of Akron
Buchtel College of Arts and Sciences
Dean's Office - CAS 448
ATTN: Houmard Scholarship Committee
Akron, OH 44325-1901