About the institute
Staff and visiting professor
Yang Lin, Ph.D.
Director of Confucius Institute at The University of Akron
Ms. Run Guo M.A.
Confucius Institute visiting professor.
Ms. Guo is an instructor in the International School for Chinese Language and Culture at Henan University, China. During her teaching career, Ms. Guo has taught courses such as Primary Chinese, Intermediate Chinese, Advanced Chinese and Chinese Traditional Cultures. Her research interests are in teaching Chinese as a second language, and the literature of the Tang and Song Dynasties.
Nancy Wolfe Dwyer
Assistant to the Director and Events Coordinator
Goals of the Institute
The Confucius Institute at The University of Akron is a partnership between UA and Henan University in China. According to the agreement signed between Hanban, the Office of Chinese Language Council International, and the University of Akron, the major missions of the Confucius Institute include:
- teach Chinese language using a variety of methods;
- train teachers to teach Chinese language in primary schools, high schools and colleges;
- administer the Chinese Proficiency Test and other tests to certify teachers' ability to teach Chinese as a foreign language;
- teach Chinese courses of various types in various areas for individuals who are not registered students of the University of Akron;
- sponsor academic activities and Chinese competitions;
- show Chinese movies and TV programs;
- provide consulting services for individuals wishing to study in China; and
- provide reference materials for the educational and other professional individuals.
OUR INSTITUTE PARTNER
Henan University is located in Kaifeng, a famous historic city and the capital of seven dynasties in Chinese history. It was founded in 1912 and was originally named The Preparatory School for Further Study in Europe and America.
At present Henan University is a comprehensive university with 11 branches of learning: liberal arts, science, engineering, economics, management, law, philosophy, education, history, agriculture and medicine.