Welcome to the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering!
I am delighted at your interest in Electrical and Computer Engineering at The University of Akron. Over the years, I have taught and advised ECE students at every stage of their studies, freshman year through PhD. I have seen these individuals grow, from one semester to the next, in competence and confidence, in patience and persistence, in practical skill and attention to detail. Transformed by their own efforts, they are well prepared to take on the professional responsibilities of an engineering career.
I feel privileged to have been a part of this experience for so many; perhaps I can share it with you, too.
Our department has so much to offer. Here, you can:
- Prepare for a wide variety of engineering career paths -- anything from architectural engineering to manufacturing, product design, or research and development - through a comprehensive, accredited bachelor’s degree program in electrical engineering or computer engineering.
- Expand your horizons and your opportunities through on-the-job, paid learning in our Engineering Co-op and Placement Program.
- Deepen your theoretical and technical background and add a higher academic credential with a master’s or doctoral degree.
- Engage in discovery, through engineering research in application areas ranging from communication networks to microgrid power distribution, as an undergraduate student or a graduate student - or as an industrial research sponsor.
- Enjoy the individual attention of our faculty, recognized experts who give their best to their students and their research sponsors.
Please take some time to browse our website. Schedule a campus visit to see our facilities and to meet with us in person. And feel free to send me an e-mail if you have questions. I look forward to talking with you!
Robert J. Veillette, PhD
Associate Professor and Interim Chair
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering