Community assistance and support for students
Salvation Army of Summit County
The Salvation Army of Summit County is a support partner for our UA students. When contacting the Salvation Army let them know you are an enrolled UA student seeking support. You may be asked to provide your UA ID and/or a current class schedule, this is normal protocol.
If you need access to food:
- You can request access to a bag of food items each week by calling 330-762-8481
If you are worried about utility shut-off notices:
- First you are encouraged to review provider websites, as many have suspended shutting off service due to COVID-19
- If you are still concerned, the Salvation Army may be able to assist you with speaking to providers such as utilities or landlords, call the Salvation Army 330-762-8481 to ask for help
2-1-1 Summit County Resource Database (powered by the United Way of Summit County)
Visit www.211summit.org or call 330-376-6660. This service is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Questions such as food pantries, medical access, utilities, and more can be answered through this call center
- Important information can be found here: http://www.211summit.org/Resources.aspx
The United Way of Summit County will continue to provide free, confidential financial coaching for UA students during this time.
- Schedule an appointment with UA's liaison from United Way, Tory Longwill, via the online scheduling system or through an email to email@example.com
- During this time, appointments are being held through a video-call feature and more openings [other than Wednesdays] may be available by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Department of Job and Family Services
Unemployment information is available through the Department of Job and Family Services.
- If you are currently laid off, due to COVID-19, review the Q/A regarding your options
- Many local businesses such as Acme, GOJO, and Meijer are hiring immediately
Visit Handshake and other online search engines for companies looking to fill pivotal openings right now.