Health Services’ recommendations for your student


Updated August 2021

Immunizations are a very effective way to prevent certain communicable diseases.

The vaccines protect everyone—your student, other students, and everyone at home. Infectious diseases such as measles and pertussis (whooping cough) can appear in campus communities where students live and attend classes in close quarters.

Interestingly, students initially tend to be immunologically “naïve,” meaning they have not been exposed to some illnesses. It is the college version of what happened when they started kindergarten. And let’s face it-your child has no time to be sick.

So what does The University of Akron recommend?

We closely follow the guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) / Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices.

At this time, the following vaccines are highly recommended:

  • COVID-19 vaccine
  • A yearly flu shot
  • Measles, Mumps, Rubella (combined as MMR)
  • Varicella (Chicken pox)
  • Meningitis (there are now 2 types, ACWY and B)
  • Polio (series completed as child)
  • Tetanus, Diphtheria, Pertussis (combined as Tdap)
  • Hepatitis A and B
  • Human papilloma virus (HPV)
  • Important: Vaccine records

    It is essential that every student — resident student or commuter — have a copy of their vaccine records readily available when they come to campus.

    What are the best ways to store this record?

    • Paper copy in a safe place (not the original—it is too important).
    • Picture on cell phone.
    • Med Proctor website:
      • This website was created to automate the immunization verification process for universities. However, it is also a great place to confidentially store these important records. Students have the option of using Med Proctor to store all immunization records. There is a $10 fee for this service and it is not required by the university. Students who only wish to upload their Covid vaccination documents may do so free of charge by clicking on the gray button at the bottom the page. This will decline the $10 fee and allow students to continue uploading their Covid vaccination record without cost.
      • Log on to and select student tab.
      • Follow instructions to be a new user. Use your University of Akron email address to link your student to our system.
        • Download the immunization form.
        • Complete the form, and then upload it to the system.

    What else should my student bring to campus?

    This is probably the first time your student may be faced with the need to see a health care provider without your assistance. Now is the time to explain how that can be accomplished.

    • Make sure they have either a physical copy or a cell phone photo of their insurance card-front and back. They should also know such things such as cost of care and copays.
    • It is also very convenient for them to carry a debit card for the cost of copays and medications if needed.
    • Your student can always use the UA Student Health Center medical providers for care of minor illness and injury. We do not bill your insurance company, so the cost of care is due at time of visit. Good news is that our visit fee is only $15.00-cheaper than your typical copay. Medications, lab fees and medical supplies are extra but very reasonable. We can evaluate the situation and determine if your student may need a higher level of care. We are located in the Student Recreation and Wellness Center Suite 260. Phone: 330-972-7808. Our website.
    • They should carry a list of any medications they take, and any allergies they may have.
    • They should know their personal and family medical history.
    • How about a small first aid kit?
      • Preferred cold medication
      • Ibuprofen and/or Tylenol
      • Band-Aids
      • Throat lozenges
      • Antihistamine such as Benadryl
      • Anti-itch cream (1% hydrocortisone)
      • Antibacterial wipes
      • Hand sanitizer
      • Icy Hot for strains/sprains
      • Heat/cold back-reusable
      • Thermometer
    • List of emergency contact numbers that should include campus police (330-972-2911) and several close family members, and Student Health Services (330-972-7808).
    • Other resources: