Answers to your questions

Do I need an appointment to be seen?

Yes, in most cases appointments are required. You may be able to get a same day appointment but they are not always available. TB testing and other immunizations are sometimes done on a walk-in basis, however, we do ask that you come before noon or after 1 for these services. It is always more convenient to schedule an appointment.

What is the cost to receive care at Student Health Services?

There is a $15 visit fee and there are nominal fees for medication and testing.

Who can access my health records?

Your student health records are kept strictly confidential and may not be released without your signed consent.  Only certain communicable diseases must be reported to the Ohio Department of Health. If you are age 18 or older, please inform your parents or legal guardians that Student Health Services cannot share any medical information with them unless we have your written permission to do so.

How do I access my records?

Contact Student Health Services for assistance: 330-972-7808

Does Student Health Services provide class absence excuses?

We do not provide written absence excuses for students who miss a class, presentation, exam or quiz, or other academic responsibility.

SHS strongly encourages students who are ill to contact their professors prior to an absence in order to make arrangements for any classes or deadlines that may be missed.

In extenuating circumstances students may sign a release of information authorizing SHS to confirm their illness for a professor, instructor or academic advisor.

What information will I need to provide when I come to Health Services?

Prior to receiving medical care at Student Health Services, you will be asked to complete a medical history form. It is essential that we know your medical history including any allergies to medications or other substances, existence of chronic health problems, and past major medical problems in order to provide timely, quality medical care.

Although the university does not require proof of immunization for admission, it is highly recommended that all students, particularly those planning to enroll in health science programs, obtain and keep handy a copy of the immunizations they have received as proof of certain immunizations are required prior to participating in health science clinical rotations.  Knowing what immunizations you have received can save you the expense of repeating immunizations unnecessarily. 

What first aid items should I have on hand in my dorm or apartment?

Students residing on campus are recommended to bring reasonable first aid supplies such as:

  • Your choice of over-the-counter pain and fever reducer
  • Your choice of cold medication
  • Thermometer
  • Band-Aids
  • Throat lozenges
  • Antihistamine such as OTC Benadryl or Claritin
  • OTC anti-itch cream
  • Ace/elastic bandage
  • Anti-bacterial wipes and hand sanitizer
  • Tweezers
  • Icy-Hot or similar product that can be used either hot or cold for bruises, strains/sprains, insect bites

       You may also purchase such items at the various retail outlets on campus.  Having such first-aid items on hand will assure that you are better prepared for minor illness and accidents or late-night symptoms

Does Student Health Services provide care for mental health issues?

Student Health Services collaborates with the Counseling Center (CC) located at 306 Simmons Hall.  CC offers free personal and group counseling to students experiencing social or emotional problems.  The Center's staff is trained to deal with issues such as anxiety, depression, interpersonal relationship difficulties and sexual concerns.

In some instances Student Health Services may offer medication as an additional treatment option.

Does Student Health Services provide testing for sexually transmitted infections (STDs)?

Click here for more information about sexually transmitted infections (STDs) and available testing options.

Can I receive my allergy injections at Health Services?

Yes, you can come to Health Services to receive your injections. See more information on allergy treatment protocol.

Does Health Services provide dental care?

Beyond providing antibiotics for abcessed or infected teeth, Health Services does not provide dental care. See a list of local options.

Which Immunizations are recommended for college students?

Health experts recommend that college students be up-to-date with the following immunizations:

  • Tetanus booster (Td) or Tdap (contains extra protection against Pertussis [whooping cough].  A booster is recommended every 10 years.
  • Measles, Mumps, Rubella - you should have received two doses.
  • Hepatitis B -  This virus is now considered to be a sexually transmitted disease.
  • Hepatitis A -  Formerly considered important for travel, health experts are beginning to recommend this vaccine more widely.      
  • Meningitis  -  College students living in residence halls are believed to be at slightly more risk for contracting this, sometimes fatal,  bacterial illness.

I have a terrible cold and feel miserable.  Why won't the physician/nurse practitioner give me an antibiotic?

Colds, flu and most sore throats and bronchitis are caused by viruses. Antibiotics do not help fight viruses. And they may do more harm than good: Taking antibiotics when they are not needed and cannot treat the illness increases the risk of a resistant infection later. Read more.