The University of Akron Family Status Change Policy
An employee may revoke an election to all group benefits (except long term disability) during a period of coverage commitment and make a new election due to a change in family status. Events qualifying as a change in family status are defined as:
- Legal marital status
- Residence (moving out of service area)
- Entitlement to Medicare or Medicaid
- Employment status (covered employee or dependent)
- Dependent satisfies or ceases to satisfy eligibility requirements
- Significant cost or coverage changes (increase or decrease)
- Number of dependents
- Adoption assistance
- Judgment, Decree or Order
All changes in family status must be reported and forms completed and returned within 31 days of the event. If an employee fails to complete a change in family status within 31 days of the event, the employee will be able to make changes at their next family status change or the next open enrollment period.
Family Status Changes require documentation of the event. Employees incurring a change in family status should contact The Office of Benefits Administration at 330-972-7090.