HOW TO APPLY
FOR UNDERGRADUATE INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS
We have hundreds of international students on our campus that originate from 40 countries, with China, Saudi Arabia and India sending the most.
We encourage you to apply today, so that you may join them.
1. Know our DEADLINES
Our application deadlines:
|Semester you wish to begin||Apply by this date|
|Summer I, II, III||March 1|
2. Transcripts & degrees
The table below lists the key items to submit for different types of applicants. Please see the important notes under the table.
|College/ University or Professional School
* First-time freshman must provide (projected) date of graduation for application. Proof of final graduation must be submitted before they will be permitted to register for their first semester.
**Transfer students are those who have attended an accredited college or university in or outside the United States but have not yet earned a bachelor's degree.
- Transfer students must submit supporting documentation for all earned degrees indicated on the application. Provisional certificates may be accepted pending the award of a degree.
- Transfer students need NOT to provide additional English proficiency test report if they have a college English Composition course with a final grade C or above.
- See our Transfer Equivalency Database to find out which institutions we have course equivalencies on record and what the equivalent UA course is. If you do not find your college/university or your course(s), we highly recommend you to provide course syllabus to assist the credit evaluation.
*** Guest/transient students must provide an authorization letter from the college/university you are attending that approves you to take classes at The University of Akron.
Notes for all:
- Official transcripts or certified true copies must be submitted to get your I-20 after you are admitted. Certified true copies must bear the official stamp and signature of the appropriate academic officer. Notarized copies are not true copies and are not acceptable.
- If the transcripts are not in English, they must be translated by a credentialed agency. We accept translated credentials from WES, NACES and AICE.
3. Proof of Language Proficiency
All undergraduate international applicants must provide evidence of English language proficiency by meeting the minimum score from one of the following acceptable tests. This requirement can be waived if you meet certain criteria.
Minimum requirements for English proficiency:
|SAT (Evidence-based reading & writing)
* test taken after March, 2016
|CAE (Cambridge English: Advanced)||169|
- The Institutional TOEFL (ITP Test) is not accepted by The University of Akron. TOEFL applications may be obtained from the Educational Testing Service (ETS).
- TOEFL, IELTS and MELAB scores are valid for two years from the test date. The University of Akron accepts only valid test scores.
- To send test result directly from the test organizations to the University of Akron, please use the codes below:
- TOEFL: 1829
- ACT: 3338
- SAT: 1829
4. SUBMIT DOCUMENTS
For admission purposes, unofficial digital versions of international documents (transcripts, language proficiency report, etc.) are acceptable and can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. PDF format is preferred.
However, official documentation must be submitted for the university to issue I-20.
U.S. transcripts must be sent directly from the institution to The University of Akron.
Note: Documents submitted to the University in the application process will NOT be returned. Please be careful sending original diploma, degrees, or certificates.
Our mailing address is:
The University of Akron
Akron, OH 44325-4711
If you have any questions, call International Recruitment at +1 330-972-4930, email@example.com. We are in the U.S.'s eastern time zone.
If you do not have a Social Security number, please enter 999999999 where requested on the application.