Annual crime and safety statistics (Clery Report)
Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act and The Higher Education Act: Fire Safety Report
Posted Sept. 30, 2021
This report contains important safety information for The University of Akron, including:
- information regarding reporting of criminal activity;
- campus policy concerning facility safety and access;
- campus policy concerning law enforcement;
- information regarding safety and crime prevention programs;
- campus policy regarding sale, possession and use of alcohol and illegal drugs (further information regarding effects of alcohol and drugs, sanctions for their use and prevention and treatment resources is here;
- campus policy for the reporting of off-campus criminal activity;
- information regarding drug and alcohol education programs;
- information regarding sexual assault prevention programs and procedures to follow when sex offenses occur;
- missing student policy; and
- crime statistics for the three most recent calendar years.
Information concerning registered sex offenders:
- The Office of the Ohio Attorney General
- Summit County Sheriff
- Wayne County Sheriff
- Medina County Sheriff
- Cuyahoga County Sheriff
Complete annual safety reports in PDF
Note: The University of Akron has been advised by the agency that administers Annual Security Report statistics on behalf of the United State Department of Education of the need to reclassify a reported statistic for the most recent Annual Security Report. Originally, the University had reported a non-negligent manslaughter, which had occurred in 2020, as having occurred on “public property.” However, based on the circumstances and details of the event, it now has been determined that the incident should have been recorded as having occurred on private property, immediately adjacent to the reportable “public property,” and therefore should not have been included in the Report. This statistic has been corrected in the 2021 Annual Security Report.
Annual crime statistics
On Oct. 1 every year, universities nationwide are required to publish their Annual Security and Fire Safety Reports, which include a summary of reported crimes on campus and near campus for the three most recent calendar years.
The statistics contained in the reports on this page are compiled from The University of Akron Police Department, The City of Akron Police Department, Medina County Sheriff’s Office, City of Lakewood Police Department, other local, domestic and foreign records of the past three calendar years by Denise Montanari, director of Clery compliance and crime prevention education.
Questions or comments about the crime statistics can be directed to Montanari by sending a message to email@example.com or calling 330-972-6172.
Note also that UA's Wayne College and its Medina County University Center have no residential housing or non-campus buildings with which it is associated, which is why there is no information published about residential housing or non-campus building statistics.