PASS is the acronym used by the fire service to quickly remember extinguisher operating instructions. UA has adopted P-PASS for use in extinguisher training.
It is important to note that you are NOT required to fight a fire. If you have the slightest doubt about your control of the situation, do not attempt to fight the fire. Pull the fire alarm, call 911 or 7123 from a University phone or 330-972-7123 from a non-University phone (e.g., cell), and get out of the building.
If you have been trained in fire extinguisher use by EOHS, AND if the fire is small (e.g., no larger than a waste basket), contained, not spreading, and you feel comfortable attempting to extinguish the fire:
- Pull the fire alarm. Call 911 or 7123 from a University phone or 330-972-7123 from a non-University phone (e.g., cell).
- Identify the proper extinguisher to extinguish the fire.
- Make sure you have an unobstructed escape route.
- Keep your back to a clear exit and stand six to eight feet away from the fire.
- Follow the P-PASS instructions for extinguishing the fire:
|Pull the nearest fire alarm pull station.||
|Pull the pin.||
|Aim the hose or nozzle towards the base of the fire.||
|Squeeze the fire extinguisher handle.|
|Sweep back and forth at the base of the fire until fire is completely extinguished or your extinguisher is empty. If one fire extinguisher does not extinguish the fire, exit the building immediately. Do not attempt to use another fire extinguisher.|
- Never turn your back on a fire!
- Once the fire goes out, watch the fire area and be prepared to repeat the process if the fire re-ignites.
- If you are successful in extinguishing the fire, report to your building's evacuation rally point and let the rally point leader know the fire has been extinguished and provide the location of the fire.
- Do not leave the scene. Emergency personnel may need to discuss the situation and/or ask for a statement regarding the incident.