The EXL Center hosted its annual awards ceremony on May 3 to celebrate community-engaged, hands-on teaching and learning. The event acknowledged the many “impressive activities” of UA personnel, students and partners during the 2018-2019 academic year.
Individuals, groups and projects were nominated for Faculty, Student, Staff and Community Partner Champions of Experiential Learning. Additionally, nominations were made in the categories of Student-Community Collaboration and Faculty-Community Collaboration. Groups and projects were also nominated for the Spirit of Experiential Learning Award. (Pictured above are recipients of the Spirit of Experiential Learning award.)
Following introductions from Anoo Vyas and Dr. Carolyn Behrman, EXL Center co-directors, Anne Hanson, director of community relations and engagement, Office of the President, spoke about “The Importance of Experiential Learning UA.”
Awards were then presented by EXL Center Faculty Steering Committee co-chairs, Dr. Christin Seher, assistant professor of practice in the School of Nutrition and Dietetics, and Dr. Amanda Booher, assistant professor of English. Learn more about the awards and the recipients online.
The honorees are:
- Administrator Champion — Dr. Maria A. Zanetta, Distinguished Professor of Modern Languages, interim chair of Department of Modern Languages and interim chair of the Department of English.
- Community Champion — The Center for Applied Drama and Autism.
- Faculty-Community Partner — “Lost Voices of the Great War Film,” to which our own Vic Fleischer, Dr. Kevin Kern, Dr. Kathleen Endres and Jamie Newhall contributed. Learn more.
- Faculty Champions — Dr. Evi Gorogianni, associate professor of instruction, and Dr. Mira J. Mohsini, a visiting assistant professor, both in the Department of Anthropology.
- Spirit of Experiential Learning — The Interdisciplinary Symposium (Scott Swiatek and Matt Williamson).
- Staff Champion — Dr. Jodi Kearns, digital projects manager at the Cummings Center for the History of Psychology.
- Student Community Partnerships
- PCC Airfoils and Zips to Industry.
- Akron Community Foundation and sociology major Zachary Eldred.
- Student Champion — Megan Delong.