Transfer Step 1 | PLAN
1. Important dates for transfer students
If you want to start in January (spring semester)
- Deadline to apply, and pay the confirmation fee is Jan. 3, 2020 (meaning your transcript, application fee and other required items must be submitted by Jan. 3 for admission review and decision).
If you want to start in May (summer semester)
- Admission deadline is May 1 (meaning your application transcript, application fee and other required items must be submitted by May 1 for admission review and decision).
- Deadline to pay the confirmation fee is May 15.
- Admission deadline is Aug. 1 (meaning your application transcript, application fee and other required items must be submitted by Aug. 1 for admission review and decision).
Other significant deadlines and info to be mindful of:
2. Are you eligible?
You need a minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA and be in good academic standing at your previous institution.
- Additional materials may be requested for review before a decision is made.
- If you're on academic dismissal from your previous school you may enroll at UA one calendar year from the date of dismissal.
Pro tip: If you have any questions, at any point through your transfer process, call us for help at 330-972-7009.
Not sure which college your major is in? Here’s a list of all of UA’s undergraduate majors.
- Completion of 30 semester credit hours
- Completion of English Composition I & II
- Completion of 3 cr. of Mathematics or Statistics
- 2.0 cumulative GPA for all majors except the following:
- Political Science requires a 2.2 major & 2.2 cumulative GPA,
- English requires a 2.2 cumulative GPA and 2.0 in the major
- Sociology requires a 2.2 cumulative GPA and 2.0 in the major
- Schools of Art; Music; Dance, Theater, and Arts Administration; and Family & Consumer Sciences each require a 2.30 cumulative GPA for their programs
- School of Communication requires a 2.5 cumulative GPA
- Admission to the Child Development major also requires completion of 7400:201, Courtship and Marriage and Family Relationships and 7400:265, Child Development
- Schools of Dance and Music require auditions
- Mary Schiller Myers School of Art requires a portfolio review
- Approval from the Dean
- 2.00 cumulative GPA
- Emergency Management requires an associate degree in public safety-related fields
To be admitted to The College of Business Administration, students must have completed the courses listed below and have an overall 2.5 grade point average:
- English Composition I and II (3300:111 and 3300:112)
- Speech (7600:105 or 7600:106)
- College Algebra (3450:145) or Calculus with Business Applications (3450:210)
- Principles of Microeconomics (3250:200) or Principles of Macroeconomics (3250:201)
- Accounting Principles I (6200:201) OR
- Spreadsheet Modeling & Decision Analysis (6250:250) OR
- Introduction to Entrepreneurship (6300:201) OR
- Legal & Social Environment of Business (6400:220) OR
- Marketing Principles (6600:205)
- 3.0 in prerequisite coursework
- 3.0 cumulative GPA with 30 semester hours of credit
- There may be additional requirements according to the program
- 2.30 GPA in three of the following four areas: cumulative GPA, engineering, math and science with 30 semester hours of credit
- Required coursework includes a grade of C- or better in calculus I and II
- School of Social Work requires a 2.75 GPA
- School of Social Work transfer credits for courses in the social work major will be considered only if they are from a CSWE-accredited program.
- School of Nutrition and Dietetics and the School of Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology require a 3.00 GPA with 12 semester hours of credit including one prerequisite science course (chemistry or anatomy & physiology)
- School of Nursing requires 3.00 GPA with 12 semester hours of credit including one prerequisite science course (chemistry or anatomy & physiology)
- Transcripts from all schools of nursing are required
- Required coursework includes a grade of C or better in all prerequisites
- Approximately 160 students are admitted each year to nursing through a competitive science GPA rank order selection
- School of Sport Science and Wellness Education majors: Athletic Training, Exercise Science, and Sports Studies majors require 12 semester credits of transfer coursework; 3.0 GPA; and 1 pre-requisite science course completed.
- School of Allied Health majors: Respiratory Care, Radiologic Technology and Surgical Assisting require separate admission into each of the programs. A 3.0 GPA, one pre-requisite science course and 12 credit hours are required for direct admission to College of Health Professions for these majors: Respiratory Therapy, Radiological Technology, and Surgical Technology. A 2.3 GPA, one pre-requisite science course and 12 credit hours are required for direct admission to the Medical Assisting major.
- 2.00 cumulative GPA
4. Meet with a UA Transfer Admission Counselor
The goal of the Transfer and Adult Student Enrollment Center is to make your transfer to UA as seamless as possible.
- Please fill out this form online to schedule a meeting with us.
- You can also call 330-972-7009 or email to schedule your meeting.
- You can expect our meeting to last about an hour.
- If you cannot meet in person, we can arrange a phone meeting.
- It is very helpful and time saving if you can send us your transcripts/credits before our meeting.
- An unofficial transcript is sufficient for this meeting and can often be found in your online student portal.
- Please note: an official transcript will be required to complete your application.
5. Credit Transfer
Transfer Equivalency Database – this list shows how classes/credits from your previous institution(s) will transfer to The University of Akron.
Transfer Equivalency Guide – available guides to help plan coursework at your current institution to optimize a smooth transfer to UA.
Pro tip: Some Ohio institutions have an articulation agreement with UA- meaning you can begin at their institution with the intent to transfer to The University of Akron and plan your courses there accordingly. Ask us for more details.