Your First Zip Card
Online Photo Submission is now available for new students!
Welcome to The University of Akron!
All members of our campus community are required to have a Zip Card, the official identification card for the The University of Akron. There is no charge for your first Zip Card. Your Zip Card provides access to essential campus services and facilities. Your Zip Card also includes an optional stored value account, the All Campus account, allowing you to make purchases on and off campus. The Zip Card is the only card you need to carry at The University of Akron!
Your Zip Card requires a photo to be included as part of your identification. Our online photo submission process allows you to quickly and easily submit a photo of your choice, online and from the comfort of your own home.
To get started, please submit a photo following the instructions below. Once your photo is submitted, the Zip Card Office will review your photo and email you with approval or next steps if your photo cannot be used.
Students must be enrolled for classes to be eligible to receive a Zip Card.
Photo Submission Process:
- New students will receive an email, in their UA Student email account, with instructions on how to upload your photo to the Zip Card Office. The email will contain a personalized photo submission Login link just for you.
- During the online photo submission process, you’ll be asked to upload a photo to be used for your Zip Card and secondary image of a government issued ID, to verify your identity.
- Submit your photo with a smartphone, tablet or a computer. Please review the photo requirements below before taking your photo. Note: Taking a photo with most smart phones/devices works well.
- Once you have uploaded your photo and an image of your government identification, your photo will be reviewed. (The image of your government issued ID will be deleted after verification.)
- You will be notified via email if your photo was accepted or rejected.
you will need a recent color photo with a plain, neutral background (cream, off-white, beige, light gray, light blue).
Your photo should display your head, including both face and hair, from the crown of the head to the tip of the chin, and from hairline side-to-side, similar to a driver’s license or passport. Senior/high school graduation photos are not acceptable.
Head coverings are acceptable due to religious beliefs, provided the head covering shows a full front view of the face, does not cast a shadow onto the face, shows an overall pattern in the fabric or material (not a graphic design). Adequate documentation for the person wearing a traditional face-mask or veil is required.
Prescription glasses may be worn for the photo; however, there should be no reflections from the eyeglasses that obscure the eyes. Dark glasses or nonprescription glasses with tinted lenses are not acceptable unless they are needed for medical reasons.
The key requirement for your Zip Card is that the photo clearly identifies the cardholder.
The following are required for your Zip Card photo:
- Current color photo
- Background should be a smooth, plain, neutral, and light colored
- Bright, even lighting
- Centered, frontal view of full face – no profile
- Cropped from just above the top of the head to the collarbone
- Eyes open and visible (wear prescription glasses if you normally do so)
The following are unacceptable for your Zip Card photo:
- Hats, sunglasses or other items that obscure your face
- Glare on glasses, shadows
- Other visible people or objects in the photo
- Inappropriate expressions or gestures
- Professional photos, senior portraits or school photos that are copyrighted
- Photos of photos
Please go to https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/how-apply/photos.html website and scroll down to Photo Examples.
We do permit prescription eyeglasses.
Acceptable forms of valid government identification (original documents only):
- Passport or Passport Card
- State Driver’s License
- State ID Card
- U.S. Military ID Card
If you do not have a valid government identification mentioned above, you may alternatively present one of the following:
- High School Photo ID
- Social Security Card
- Certified Birth Certificate
Submitting Your Photo:
How to Submit Your Photo
- Login to the Online Photo Submission website using the link that is provided in the email.
- Click on the “I accept the terms and conditions” button.
- Take a photo or upload an existing photo using your device (must be .jpeg, .png, or .gif file type)
- Upload an image of your government issued ID or alternative ID
- Use the edit button to crop or rotate the image to meet requirements
- Preview and then click on the SUBMIT & SIGN OUT button at the bottom of the screen
- You will be notified via email if your photo was accepted or rejected
Receiving your Zip Card:
- UA Residential students will receive their Zip Card on their move-in day.
- Online Instruction students, who do not come to campus, will have their Zip Card mailed to the address that is on file in their student account.
- All other students may pick up their Zip Card at the Simmons Hall Zip Card office room 103 during regular business hours.
Questions? Please contact the Zip Card Office firstname.lastname@example.org or call 330-972-5637.