About the College of Engineering
Based in the Auburn Science and Engineering Center, we are home to one of the oldest traditional co-op programs in the country in which students gain valuable, practical work experience in between periods of rigorous academic coursework. The co-op program successfully maintains and establishes relationships in private industry and with government agencies all over Ohio and around the United States.
The college’s faculty is an assembled group of nationally and internationally known professors, researchers and staff members. Even as many faculty work around the clock, they still provide caring, individual attention to students. Teaching and advising are taken seriously to provide each student with the greatest opportunity to succeed.
The University is surrounded by excellent cultural diversity and post-academic opportunities for our future engineers. Located in Northeast Ohio, Akron is home to several small and large industries, as well as nearby government laboratories. Learn more about Akron. | Learn more about campus life at UA.
100 Years of Excellence
The last decade has been a time of tremendous growth, innovation and student success for the College. Examples of this include:
- 3,000 undergraduate students in fall 2018, doubling enrollment since fall 2004
- 300 graduate students
- 9x increase in research activity in 2012 compared to 2007
- 50,000 square feet more research space at the UA Engineering Research Center, and an additional 30,000 in the renovated Auburn Science and Engineering Center West Tower
- Establishment of an innovative partnership with The Timken Company, which led to the creation of the Timken Engineered Surfaces Laboratories
- Launching the new Aerospace Systems Engineering baccalaureate degree program - the first undergraduate program in the U.S.
- Establishment of the National Center for Education and Research on Corrosion and Materials Performance and the first baccalaureate degree in corrosion engineering in the U.S.
Propelled by the dedication of our students, faculty, alumni, friends and industrial partners, we are making extraordinary progress and have positioned the College to continue to make a significant impact on the lives of our students, Northeast Ohio and the world.