David Ritchey, Ph.D.
Public Relations, International Public Relations
Awards and Honors: The University of Akron
1. Mentor of the Year, 2008
2. Mentor of the Year, 2007
3. Fulbright Scholar to Romania, 2002-2003
4. Distinguished Teacher of the Year, 2001, Speech Communication Association
5. Faculty Honoree – The University of Akron, Board of Trustees Recognition
6. Faculty Recognition -- Interfraternity & Panhellenic Councils, November 1992
7. Favorite Faculty -- Certificate of Appreciation, Mortar Board and Omicron
Delta Kappa, March 1994
8. Golden Key -- honorary member, 1993
INTERNATIONAL EXPERIENCES -- chronological order
China Experience -- 1997:
I taught the first western-style public relations class offered in The People's Republic of China. I taught this course in Renmin University, Beijing, China, May 1997.
I volunteered for the Citizens for Democracy Corps in St. Petersburg, Russia, May 1998. The Citizens for Democracy Corps (CDC), a government sponsored program started by President George Bush in 1990. The CDC provides help for small and medium sized business in Russia and Central/Eastern Europe. The purpose of the program is to stabilize democratic institutions and provide new market opportunities and jobs for the region's companies and citizens.
I worked with the White Nights Company, which owns a hotel and restaurant, a second restaurant, a language school and a tourism office.
Hong Kong Experience --1998:
I was invited to teach public relations in The City University of Hong Kong, October and November 1998.
I was invited to visit Cuba, December 9 - 19, 1999. I toured with a group of American writers. We visited important geographical sites, talked with political leaders, citizen groups and arts foundation leaders.
London, England, Experience: Special Topics Class—2000:
May 16-31, 2000, I led 13 students to London to study public relations.
London, England, Experience: Special Topics Class-- 2001
May 15-31, 2001, led 20 students to London to study public relations.
London, England, Experience: Special Topics Class-- 2002
May 16-20, 2002, led 13 students to London to study public relations.
Romania, Experience. Fulbright Scholar – January through May 2003
London, England, Experience: Special Topics Class – May 2005.
London, England, Experience: Special Topics Class – July-August 2006.
London, England, Experience: Special Topics Class – May 2008
London, England, Experience: Special Topics Class – May 2009
Hawthornden Castle, Scotland, International Writer’s Retreat – June 2009.
London, England, Special Topics Class -- May 11-22, 2010
Scholarly and Professional Publications
1. "The White Nights: "A Public Relations Case Study of a Russian Company,"
(accepted for publication in the book, Toward the Common Good:
Perspective in International Public Relations, scheduled for publication by
Allyn and Bacon, in 2003.
2. "The Public Relations of Layoffs," (with Dudley B. Turner), Public Relations
Quarterly, Summer 2001, pages 32-39. (Refereed)
3. "Lessons from London, International Educator, Winter 2001, page 5-6.
(Invited and Edited by a Professional Editor)
4. "The Changing Face of Public Relations in China and Hong Kong," Public
Relations Quarterly, Winter 2000, pages 27-32. (Refereed)
5. "Mastering the Fundamentals: PR In China," PR Tactics, September 1997,
(Submitted, Accepted and Edited by a Professional Editor)
6. "The High Market Value of Advice," Ohio Speech Journal, October 1997,
pages 76-80. (Refereed)
7. "Alabama's Williamson R. W. Cobb Made a Dramatic Final Appearance
before the House of Representatives," America's Civil War, May 1994, pages
8 and 73. (Refereed)
8. "Straddling the PR Fence," Journal of Applied Communication Research,
February 1992, pages 119-122. (Refereed)
9. "A Gift for Mom: An OB/BYN Public Relations Project: A Case Study,"
Health Marketing Quarterly, Vol. 10 (1/2), 1992, pages 79-82. (Refereed)
10. "Arkansas Louisiana Gas Company's Small Business Development
Conferences," Public Relations Quarterly, Fall, 1991, pages 22-24.
I have defined creative work as those articles and projects that are examples of the work I teach in my classes.
1. "Egg on their Faces, WestSide Leader, September 6, 2001, page 3.
2. "Rocket specialists speaks at UA Traditions 2001," WestSide Leader, August
30, 2001, pages 16-17.
3. "Scratching for a Job Interview," Commentary, WKSU radio, summer, 2001.
4. "Castro's old, worn metaphors," The Cleveland Plain Dealer, January 5, 2000,
5. "Students face up to ethical challenges at home, school," South China Morning
Post, October 29, 1998, page 21.
6. "How long does it take to forgive and forget the pain of war?" The Cleveland
Plain Dealer, June 24, 1998, page 13-B
7. "Eight years ago today, in Beijing's Tiananmen Square," The Cleveland Plain
Dealer, June 4, 1997, page 11-B.
8. "Good speeches enhance image of a company," The Cleveland Plain Dealer,
January 18, 1994, 9-C.
9. "High ethical standards vital for PR firms," Crain's Cleveland Business,
August 31, 1992, page 16.
10. "Writing a business ethics column," Editor & Publisher, September 5, 1992,
page 44 and 35.
11. "Joys of Summer Camp," Magazine of the Beacon Journal, July 19, 1992,
12. "A Night to Remember," Magazine of the Beacon Journal, May 17, 1997,
13. "Beware you don't air your errors," Small Business News/Akron, February
1992, page 26.
14. "Channel One," The Cleveland Plain Dealer, September 21, 1990, page 3-B
Articles Published in Newspapers or Magazines
[I have written over 1,000 articles that have been published in newspapers and magazines. The following is a list of the publications that have used my work.]
West Side Leader (Akron), AntiqueWeek (national), Cleveland Plain Dealer, Senior Focus (Akron), Editor & Publisher (national), Crain's Cleveland Business, Beacon Magazine (Akron), The Akron Beacon Journal, Small Business News (Akron), Arkansas Business (state-wide), Arkansas Gazette (state-wide), Christian Science Monitor (national), Presbyterian Survey (national), Spectrum (local), Arkansas Publisher (publisher), AmericanWay (American Airlines in-flight magazine), USA Today (national), The State: Down Home in North Carolina (state-wide ), Arkansas Democrat Sunday Magazine (state-wide), Inside Arkansas (state-wide), Jacksonville Magazine (Jacksonville, Florida, city magazine) , New Orleans Magazine, Arkansas Democrat (state-wide), Arkansan (state-wide), and Arkansas Times (state-wide).
Ph.D., Communication, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge
M.A., Communication, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge
B.A., Communication, Georgetown College, Georgetown, KY.