School of Communication
As a comprehensive communication program, we immerse students in the full range of communication skills necessary for successful careers – today and tomorrow. Students focus their study toward their interests by choosing one of four areas of emphasis: media studies, public relations, strategic and organizational communication, or organizational supervision. The School of Communication also houses two master’s programs for select candidates including an M.A. in Communication or an M.A. in Strategic Communication. Additionally, we offer several certificate programs both at the undergraduate and graduate levels.
School of Communication graduate's short film wins Oscar
Matthew Cherry, who studied mass media, radio and television in the School of Communication, has won an Academy Award for his animated short film, "Hair Love." Full story.
“I’m really proud to be a Zip," Cherry told the student newspaper, the Buchtelite. "And I think now’s a great time to take advantage at The University of Akron to take that next step in life to where you want to be. I couldn’t think of a better place.”
- Q&A with Dr. Amber L. Ferris, associate professor of communication
- Dr. Andrew S. Rancer honored with distinguished scholar award
- Z-TV captures ninth Emmy for student work
- Dialogue of dance: Communication major learns new kind of language in Haiti
- ZTV’s ‘Lights. Camera. Akron’ honored with Emmy