Same expert faculty as in-person classes
IS THIS FOR ME?
This program is for students and professionals interested in strategically creating and managing messages in the contexts of social media and health and crisis communication. You will develop skills in social media analytics, risk communication, health messaging and campaigns, social media content production, and more.
- Meet the general requirements for admission to the Graduate School at The University of Akron.
- Essay of no more than 500 words outlining reasons for choosing graduate program in Communication at The University of Akron.
- Possess an undergraduate major in communication, journalism or a related field, or complete at least 15 semester credits of undergraduate communication coursework approved by the School.
- International students must meet the requirements of the Graduate School for the TOEFL requirement.
- All materials must be submitted directly to the Graduate School.
WHAT CAN I DO WITH THIS DEGREE?
There is a growing demand for communication experts in social media and health and crisis communication. Social media management and marketing has grown exponentially over the past decade, and there is a continual need for communication professionals in regional health organizations such as the Summa Health system, the Cleveland Clinic, and University Hospitals.
More broadly, this degree can equip you to work in nearly every industry, including public relations and marketing agencies, pharmaceutical companies, nonprofit organizations, corporate communication organizations, political consulting and campaign firms, multimedia and web publishers, and media outlets.
While there are several online master's degree programs in communication in Ohio, our program is the only one that focuses specifically on social media and health and crisis communication. Our regional relationships also contribute to our uniqueness.
LEARNING BEYOND THE CLASSROOM
Our goal is to connect theory to practice, enabling you to emerge from the classroom as a civically engaged, skilled and adaptable leader.
That's why our curriculum is guided by advice from top experts in academia and industries in the region — ensuring that what happens in the classroom reflects the trends and demands of the workplace. We aim to provide hands-on, experiential learning opportunities in every class. We work with departments across the university, UA's EXL Center for Experiential Learning, and local industry experts to provide additional real-world experiences.
HOW LONG IS THE PROGRAM?
The typical length of this program is 18-24 months.
- Request information.
- Learn more about UAkron Online.
- If you have questions about the program, contact Dr. Amber Ferris at firstname.lastname@example.org or 330-972-7606.
- If you have questions about the admissions process, write to email@example.com or call 330-972-6658.