Graduate Certificate in Instructional Communication for Educators
What is the Instructional Communication for Educators Certificate?
- This certificate provides the discipline-relevant coursework necessary to meet the requirements to teach dual-credit speech and communication courses in high school.
- The certificate's 18-credit requirement also serves as a precursor toward earning a M.A. degree in our program.
Who can enroll for this certificate?
- This certificate is intended for high school teachers seeking to teach dual-credit speech and communication courses under the College Credit Plus program.
Students will take a combination of core courses and electives, learning to apply communication theory in their classrooms.
The program will be available online as well as face-to-face, providing a flexible option for full-time high school instructors.
To learn more about the program or how to enroll:
- Contact Dr. Amber Ferris, associate professor and graduate coordinator in the School of Communication.
- Courses already taken can count towards this certification.
- Online courses will be available.
- Graduate School Admissions: https://www.uakron.edu/graduate/admissions/apply
To earn your Instructional Communication for Educators certificate, you must complete 18 credit hours out of the following courses:
|Required Core||Min. Credits: 6|
|7600:600||Intro to Graduate Study in Communication||3|
|Theory Set||Min. Credits: 3|
|7600:624||Survey of Communication Theory||3|
|7600:625||Theories of Mass Communication||3|
|7600:623||Applied Communication Theory||3|
|Electives||Min. Credits: 9|
|7600:571||Theories of Rhetoric||3|
|7600:602||Qualitative Methods in Communication||3|
|7600:603||Quantitative Methods in Communication||3|
|7600:606||Communication Problems in the Basic Speech Course||1|
|7600:630||Communication in Organizations||3|
|7600:645||Intercultural Communication Theory||3|
|7600:691||Advanced Communication Studies||3|
|7600:540||Strategic Social Media||3|
|7600:542||Social Media Metrics & Analytics||3|
|7600:601||Mixed Methods of Communication Research||3|
|7600:637||Training Methods in Communication||3|