Department of Political Science
POLITICAL SCIENCE STUDY; DESIGNED FOR THE REAL WORLD JOB MARKET
The Department of Political Science at the University of Akron offers a BA in Political Science, a BS in Political Science/Criminal Justice, a Masters in Political Science/Security Studies, a Masters in Applied Politics (MAP), a Masters in Political Science, and a MAP/JD degree that are all geared to maximize student success.
Where our graduates work
Political campaigns, Congressional offices, the Intelligence Community, the State Department, the FBI, police departments, political consultancies, academia, think tanks, military leadership, etc.
Olin Hall houses the Department of Political Science and the Ray C. Bliss Institute of Applied Politics.
Visit us in room 201!
Department of Political Science
Nancy Marion, Interim Department Chair
Nancy Marion, Director of Graduate Studies
Akron, OH 44325-1904
Fall 2015 Political Science Course Lists
Contact Beth Raies at 330-972-7406 or email@example.com
The 2014 Ohio Judicial Elections Survey Findings Report
The Bliss Institute along with co-sponsors Chief Justice Maureen O’Connor of the Supreme Court of Ohio, the League of Women Voters of Ohio, the Ohio State Bar Association and Justice At Stake, recently conducted a survey of Ohio registered voters to determine voting attitudes and behaviors in judicial elections.
MA in Political Science - Security Studies Track
We live in a world, where security issues often dominate the national policy agenda. In response to the growing need for national security professionals, the Department of Political Science at the University of Akron now offers the Master of Arts Degree in Political Science-Security Studies Track. This course of study is intended to prepare professionals in the world of national security occupations. Please check out this information on the Security Studies track
Contact Dr. Kaltenthaler today for more information on this amazing program.
Interested in Security Studies Careers?
The best way to gain experience and maximize your opportunity for a great career starts with an internship. If you interested in Security Studies but are not sure where to start, take a look at:
- Internship portals for government agencies, think tanks, the United Nations, and general Federal internships.
Please contact Dr. Kaltenthaler about the Security Studies program and discuss the amazing opportunities that await you!
Political Science Masters Degree is the pathway to your success!
The Department of Political Science offers number of options for graduate studies that are geared toward preparing students for many different career options. Our faculty members are renowned in their fields and have great success mentoring students to achieve their career goals. Check out how a UA Political Science graduate degree can be your path to success!
For more information please check out the Graduate Bulletin or contact the Department of Political Science at 330-972-7406
Consideration for applications for Fall graduate assistantships will begin March 1 and continue until April 1.
Political Science in the Media
- Nov 30: Professor Karl Kaltenthaler is quoted in a US News & World Report story about the ISIS terror cell network.
- Nov 25: Professor Karl Kaltenthaler appeared on 1590AM WAKR’s Jasen Sokol Show to discuss the on-going threat from ISIS and what it means for the United States.
- Nov 17: Professor Karl Kaltenthaler talked about the terrorist attacks in Paris and the broader issue of ISIS in the world with Ray Horner on 1590AM WAKR (no audio available).
- Nov 16: Professor Karl Kaltenthaler talked about the terrorist attacks in Paris with Jasen Sokol on 1590AM WAKR (no audio available).
- Nov 3: Professor Karl Kaltenthaler appeared on 1590AM WAKR’s Jasen Sokol Show today to discuss the Russian airliner crash in Egypt and the introduction of US Special Operations Forces into Syria.
- August 24: U.S. News & World Report quotes professor Karl Kaltenthaler in a story on the Pentagon’s plan to have contractors handle certain drone missions.
- August 20: Professor John Green commented on the passing of former Ohio Congressman Louis Stokes on WCPN-FM.
- August 19: John Green participated in a panel on WCPN-FM’s “The Sound of Ideas” as well as a discussion on WAKR-AM (no audio) focusing on the debate between the Democratic candidates vying to become Akron’s mayor.
- August 18: Professor David Cohen appeared on WHBC-AM’s Ron Ponder Show today to discuss the 2016 presidential election (no audio available).
- August 13: Associate professor Valerie Callanan is quoted by the Record Searchlight in a story about crime in Redding, California.
- August 11: Professor Green is quoted in a Dayton Daily News story on the switch of statues representing Ohioans in the U.S. Capitol Building.
- August 11: Professor John Green is quoted in a WCPN-FM story on Ohio Gov. John Kasich’s refusal to attack fellow GOP presidential candidate Donald Trump. Green is also quoted in an Akron Beacon Journal story on the latest development in the Akron mayoral race.
- August 10: Professor John Green is quoted in Newsweek in a story on the presidential candidacy of Ohio Gov. John Kasich.
- August 7: Professor John Green is quoted in The Columbus Dispatch in a story on Ohio Gov. John Kasich’s performance in Thursday night’s GOP presidential debate. Professor David Cohen is part of WCBE-FM and WKSU-FM stories on the same topic. Cohen also talked about the debate on WHBC-AM’s Ron Ponder Show.