Department of Political Science
POLITICAL SCIENCE STUDY; DESIGNED FOR THE REAL WORLD JOB MARKET
The Department of Political Science at the University of Akron offers a BA in Political Science, a BS in Political Science/Criminal Justice, a Masters in Political Science/Security Studies, a Masters in Applied Politics (MAP), a Masters in Political Science, and a MAP/JD degree that are all geared to maximize student success.
Where our graduates work
Political campaigns, Congressional offices, the Intelligence Community, the State Department, the FBI, police departments, political consultancies, academia, think tanks, military leadership, etc.
Olin Hall houses the Department of Political Science and the Ray C. Bliss Institute of Applied Politics.
Visit us in room 201
Department of Political Science
Dr. Nancy Marion, Interim Department Chair
Dr. Steve Brooks, Director of Graduate Studies
Akron, OH 44325-1904
Summer 2017 Political Science Course Lists
Contact the Political Science Department at 330-972-7406 or polsciSA1
The 2014 Ohio Judicial Elections Survey Findings Report
The Bliss Institute along with co-sponsors Chief Justice Maureen O’Connor of the Supreme Court of Ohio, the League of Women Voters of Ohio, the Ohio State Bar Association and Justice At Stake, recently conducted a survey of Ohio registered voters to determine voting attitudes and behaviors in judicial elections.
Political Science Masters Degree is the pathway to your success!
The Department of Political Science offers number of options for graduate studies that are geared toward preparing students for many different career options. Our faculty members are renowned in their fields and have great success mentoring students to achieve their career goals. Check out how a UA Political Science graduate degree can be your path to success!
For more information please check out the Graduate Bulletin or contact the Department of Political Science at 330-972-7406
Consideration for applications for Fall graduate assistantships will begin April 1.
MA in Political Science - Security Studies Track
We live in a world, where security issues often dominate the national policy agenda. In response to the growing need for national security professionals, the Department of Political Science at the University of Akron now offers the Master of Arts Degree in Political Science-Security Studies Track. This course of study is intended to prepare professionals in the world of national security occupations. Please check out this information on the Security Studies track.
Contact Dr. Kaltenthaler today for more information on this amazing program.
Interested in Security Studies Careers?
The best way to gain experience and maximize your opportunity for a great career starts with an internship. If you interested in Security Studies but are not sure where to start, take a look at:
- Internship portals for government agencies, think tanks, the United Nations, and general Federal internships.
Please contact Dr. Kaltenthaler about the Security Studies program and discuss the amazing opportunities that await you!
Political Science in the Media
- Sept 6: Interim dean John Green is cited in an 89.7 WKSU report and in The Village Suntimes regarding the race for the White House this November.
- Sept 2: Professor David Cohen comments on events related to the presidential campaign on 1480 WHBC. Professor Cohen’s comments begin at approx. 1:03:19.
- Sept 1: Research by UA’s Bliss Institute is extensively cited in an 89.7 WKSU story about the impact of negative ads on Ohio’s electorate. In related news, interim dean John Green is quoted in a Cleveland.com report about how Ohio voter preferences are defying conventional assumptions about political party affiliation and presidential candidate support
- Sept 1: Professor Karl Kaltenthaler was interviewed on The Jasen Sokol Show regarding the use of children in terrorist attacks on 1590 WAKR.
- Aug 29: Interim dean John Green is quoted in the Deseret News regarding the disparity between church attendance and individual views on religiosity. Green is also quoted in the Religious News Service about a communications firm that represents ‘political humanist’ candidates in Arizona.
- Aug 29: Professor David Cohen comments on the state of the campaign for the US presidency, including an analysis of each candidate’s strengths and weaknesses as they prepare for the upcoming debates on 1590 WAKR (audio not available).
- Aug 28: Deseret News National quotes interim dean John Green in a discussion about how Americans choose their places of worship. Lancaster Online also quotes Green extensively regarding clergy concerns related to religious liberty and the enforcement of federal law.
- Aug 19: A Cleveland.com report quotes interim dean John Green about Governor Kasich’s support in Ohio Senator Rob Portman’s re-election bid. Cleveland.com also reports that Green will participate in a panel discussion dealing with the issue of gerrymandering.
- Aug 18: Interim dean John Green is quoted in a Cleveland.com story about “Washington insiders,” and the West Side Leader notes that Green will be the first featured speaker for the 92nd Town Hall Series of the Akron Women’s City Club on Sept. 15.
- Aug 17: Professor Karl Kaltenthaler was interviewed on the Jason Sokol Show on 1590 WAKR concerning terrorism issues in the foreign policy speech that Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump gave on Monday.
- Aug 16: CNN.com and numerous regional media outlets including WYFF-TV in Greenville, SC; KPHO-TV in Phoenix, AZ; and WBND-TV in South Bend, IN quote professor David Cohen in a discussion about potential outcomes for the 2016 presidential race. Cohen also provided commentary today on 1590 WAKR (audio not available).
- Aug 15: In continuing coverage, professor John Green is quoted in an AOL.com story on the results of a recent Pew Research Center survey that shows many Americans hear about political issues and even individual candidates in church. Professor Green also discussed a variety of topics on WVIZ-TV’s “The State of Ohio” program.
- Jan 20: Comments from professor David Cohen are referenced in an Akron Beacon Journal story about efforts to get former Ohio Gov. Ted Strickland to debate P.G. Sittenfeld in Akron.
- Jan 14: Professor John Green is quoted by The Columbus Dispatch for a story on what Ohio Gov. John Kasich might face at tonight’s GOP presidential debate
- Jan 13: Professor Cohen is also quoted in a Cincinnati Enquirer story about Ohio Sen. Sherrod Brown’s plan to overturn the Trans-Pacific Partnership trade agreement.
- Jan 13: Professor David Cohen participated in a review of last night’s State of the Union address on 90.3FM WCPN. Professor John Green talked with Ray Horner on 1590AM WAKR about the same topic (no audio available).
- Jan 12: Professor David Cohen appeared on Ray Horner’s show on 1590AM WAKR this morning to discuss tonight’s State of the Union address (no audio available).
- Jan 7: Professor John Green has been interviewed by WUPW-TV (Fox - Toledo) about the disgust many Ohioans feel toward national politics.
- Jan 6: Professor Karl Kaltenthaler appeared on 1590AM WAKR’s Jasen Sokol Show to discuss the growing rift between Saudi Arabia and Iran, and the importance of the North Korean nuclear test (no audio available).
- Jan 5: Professor Karl Kaltenthaler has been involved in researching the opinions of Iraqis and Syrians, as highlighted by U.S. News & World Report.
- Jan 5: Professor David Cohen appeared on 1480AM WHBC today to discuss the latest developments in the 2016 presidential race.
- Jan 4: Professor John Green is quoted in an Associated Press story about the results of a poll conducted by UA’s Bliss Institute for Applied Politics on voter satisfaction with American politics. Professor Green’s comments are also part of a story in The Columbus Dispatch about the critical role Ohio will play in the 2016 presidential election.
- Dec 18: Professor Karl Kaltenthaler talks to US News & World Report about survey results of Syrian and Iraqi civilian opinions on US involvement in those countries.
- Dec 17: A piece authored by professor John Green titled “Tackling Trumpism, a Mirror for Our Times” has been posted by RealClear Politics.
- Dec 16: Professor Karl Kaltenthaler is quoted by The Kansas City Star in a story about how the nation is reacting to recent terrorist attacks.
- Dec 14: Professor David Cohen appeared on 1480AM WHBC to talk about tomorrow night’s GOP debate. And on the same station, a different segment onThe Ron Ponder Show involved associate professor Terry O’Sullivan discussing the Paris climate change agreement.
- Dec 10: Professor Karl Kaltenthaler appeared on 1590AM WAKR today to discuss the latest information concerning the San Bernardino terror attack.
- Dec 7: Professor David Cohen is quoted by The Blade in a story about how gun control is becoming an issue in Ohio’s 2016 U.S. Senate race.
- Nov 30: Professor Karl Kaltenthaler is quoted in a US News & World Report story about the ISIS terror cell network.
- Nov 25: Professor Karl Kaltenthaler appeared on 1590AM WAKR’s Jasen Sokol Show to discuss the on-going threat from ISIS and what it means for the United States.
- Nov 17: Professor Karl Kaltenthaler talked about the terrorist attacks in Paris and the broader issue of ISIS in the world with Ray Horner on 1590AM WAKR (no audio available).
- Nov 16: Professor Karl Kaltenthaler talked about the terrorist attacks in Paris with Jasen Sokol on 1590AM WAKR (no audio available).
- Nov 3: Professor Karl Kaltenthaler appeared on 1590AM WAKR’s Jasen Sokol Show today to discuss the Russian airliner crash in Egypt and the introduction of US Special Operations Forces into Syria.
- August 24: U.S. News & World Report quotes professor Karl Kaltenthaler in a story on the Pentagon’s plan to have contractors handle certain drone missions.
- August 20: Professor John Green commented on the passing of former Ohio Congressman Louis Stokes on WCPN-FM.
- August 19: John Green participated in a panel on WCPN-FM’s “The Sound of Ideas” as well as a discussion on WAKR-AM (no audio) focusing on the debate between the Democratic candidates vying to become Akron’s mayor.
- August 18: Professor David Cohen appeared on WHBC-AM’s Ron Ponder Show today to discuss the 2016 presidential election (no audio available).
- August 13: Associate professor Valerie Callanan is quoted by the Record Searchlight in a story about crime in Redding, California.
- August 11: Professor Green is quoted in a Dayton Daily News story on the switch of statues representing Ohioans in the U.S. Capitol Building.
- August 11: Professor John Green is quoted in a WCPN-FM story on Ohio Gov. John Kasich’s refusal to attack fellow GOP presidential candidate Donald Trump. Green is also quoted in an Akron Beacon Journal story on the latest development in the Akron mayoral race.
- August 10: Professor John Green is quoted in Newsweek in a story on the presidential candidacy of Ohio Gov. John Kasich.
- August 7: Professor John Green is quoted in The Columbus Dispatch in a story on Ohio Gov. John Kasich’s performance in Thursday night’s GOP presidential debate. Professor David Cohen is part of WCBE-FM and WKSU-FM stories on the same topic. Cohen also talked about the debate on WHBC-AM’s Ron Ponder Show.