POLITICAL SCIENCE STUDY; DESIGNED FOR THE REAL WORLD JOB MARKET:
The Department of Political Science at the University of Akron offers a BA in Political Science, a BS in Political Science/Criminal Justice, a Masters (MA) in Political Science, a Masters in Applied Politics (MAP), and a MAP/JD degree that are all geared to maximize student success.
OUR STUDENTS HAVE FOUND JOBS IN:
Political campaigns, Congressional offices, the Intelligence Community, the State Department, the FBI, police departments, political consultancies, academia, think tanks, military leadership, etc.
Alumni on the Move
The Ohio Supreme Court today announced Michael Farley as its Judicial and Legislative Affairs Counsel. In this role, Farley will serve as the primary liaison between the Supreme Court and the Ohio General Assembly, with communication responsibility with governmental entities and judicial associations on legislative matters affecting the judicial branch. He will also be involved in other projects in the legal and policy areas.
Farley graduated from the University of Akron with a bachelor of arts in political science and history. He earned a Master of Public Administration from Ohio University and received his law degree from Capital University Law School.
Olin Hall houses the Department of Political Science and the Ray C. Bliss Institute of Applied Politics.
Visit us in room 201!
John Green, Department ChairNancy Marion, Director of Graduate StudiesAkron, OH 44325-1904(330) 972-7406 ph(330) 972-8841 fax
2015 Political Science Fall Course Lists
The following links contain the course offerings for the Political Science Department for Fall 2015.
Phone: (330) 972-7406
2015 Political Science Summer Course Lists
The following links contain the course offerings for the Political Science Department for Summer 2015.
Phone: (330) 972-7406
Political Science Masters Degree is the pathway to your success!
The Department of Political Science offers number of options for graduate studies that are geared toward preparing students for many different career options. Our faculty members are renowned in their fields and have great success mentoring students to achieve their career goals. Check out how a UA Political Science graduate degree can be your path to success!
For more information please check out the Graduate Bulletin or contact the Department of Political Science today at 330-972-7406
Consideration for applications for Fall graduate assistantships will begin March 1 and continue until April 1.
Interested in Security Studies Careers?
Are you interested in Security Studies but are not sure where to start?
Follow this link for valuable resources on resume writing, interview skills and other valuable information.
If you are looking for a National Security internship, be sure to check out the resources above before you check out this link about amazing opportunities.
The best way to gain experience and maximize your opportunity for a great career starts with an internship.
Please contact Dr. Kaltenthaler about the Security Studies program and discuss the amazing opportunities that await you!
New -- MA in Political Science - Security Studies Track
We live in a world, where security issues often dominate the national policy agenda. In response to the growing need for national security professionals, the Department of Political Science at the University of Akron now offers the Master of Arts Degree in Political Science-Security Studies Track. This course of study is intended to prepare professionals in the world of national security occupations. Please check out this information on the Security Studies track
Contact Dr. Kaltenthaler today for more information on this amazing program.
Political Science in the Media
- June 30: John Green, director of UA’s Bliss Institute of Applied Politics, has been interviewed by WXVU-FM for a story on Ohio Gov. John Kasich’s impending announcement that he’s entering the 2016 race for president.
- June 29: The Columbus Dispatch includes comments from John Green in a story on the impending announcement that Ohio Gov. John Kasich will enter the 2016 presidential race.
- June 29: Professor David Cohen is quoted in a U.S. News & World Report story on the recent series of high-profile decisions by the U.S. Supreme Court that have been political victories for President Barack Obama.
- June 29: John Green was quoted by USA Today and The Christian Science Monitor in stories on the impact the U.S. Supreme Court’s ruling may have on the 2016 presidential campaign.
- June 24: Associate professor Stephen Brooks is quoted in a cleveland.com story on mayoral recall initiatives, which seem to be on the upswing nationwide.
- June 24: Professor David Cohen appeared on WHBC-AM’s Ron Ponder Show to discuss the growing controversy over the Confederate flag (no audio available).
- June 24: John Green is quoted in a Politico story on GOP governors and Obamacare.
- June 22: The National Catholic Reporter quotes John Green in its story on the increasing number of Americans who identify with no particular religion.
- June 19: John Green is interviewed by NPR news and quoted in a National Journal piece about how presidential candidates are handling the Pope's comments on global warming.
- June 18: Professor David Cohen talks with The Toledo Blade about results from a recent poll on the popularity of current presidential candidates.
- June 17: John Green is quoted in a New York Times piece about results of a new Pew Research Center poll centered on Roman Catholics and climate change.
- June 16: In continuing coverage, John Green talks with The Columbus Dispatch on what opponents could use against John Kasich based on his record with Ohio legislators.