The Center for Intelligence and Security Studies
AT THE UNIVERSITY OF AKRON
A resource to prepare the security professionals of tomorrow by bringing together students, faculty, and security practitioners for training, research, and education in the areas of national security, cybersecurity, community security and law enforcement, as well as intelligence analysis and operations.
Watch the launch event
Questions? Contact Karl Kaltenthaler, Center Director at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lieutenant Colonel Wayne Stone (Ret) is the Senior Recanati-Kaplan Resident Fellow at Harvard University. Wayne has served in multiple senior management positions within the United States Intelligence Community, most recently as the Senior Executive Management Officer in the Office of the Director of National Intelligence (ODNI). Prior to this role, he served as the Acting Inspector General of the Intelligence Community.
Michael Morell had a 33-year career at the CIA. His positions included Acting Director and Deputy Director of the Central Intelligence Agency. Presently, Michael is Senior Counselor and Global Chairman of the Geo-political Risk Practice of Beacon Global Strategies in Washington D.C. Michael Morrell is a University of Akron Economics alumnus.
About the Center
- A place for students to get guidance to achieve their career goals in various fields of security.
- A forum for security practitioners to come and talk to UA students and faculty about their work and experiences.
- A forum for UA faculty to give talks on real-world security issues, such as biosecurity, cyber-conflict, disinformation, policing, espionage, human trafficking, domestic terrorism, climate change, conflicts around the world, etc.
- A place to hold conferences on security issues with faculty from the region, nationally, and internationally.
- A place for faculty and students to meet and coordinate inter-disciplinary research efforts. Students can do fellowships in the Center to work with faculty fellows to their mutual benefit.
- Karl Kaltenthaler, Center Director; Political Science - email@example.com
- David Cohen, Political Science
- Ronald Gelleny, Political Science
- Diana Kingsbury, Political Science
- David Licate, Criminal Justice Studies
- Sarah St. George, Criminal Justice Studies
- John Nicholas, Computer Science and Computer Information Systems
- Scott Randby, Mathematics
- Yang Lin, Communications
- Michael Morell, Honorary Advisory Board Chair; former Acting Director and Deputy Director of the Central Intelligence Agency
- Dr. Boyd Brown, retired US Army Information Operations (IO) officer and President of Lexington Solutions Group
- Tim Gembicki, veteran analyst with over 15 years of experience in the Bureau of Intelligence and Research at the U.S. Department of State
- Adam Gerzanics, Security Assistance Program Manager for the United States Department of the Air Force within the Air Force Lifecycle Management Center (AFLCMC) located at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base Ohio
- Mary Clare Gumbleton has been a small business owner for the past 13 years, specializing in federal contracting, grassroots organizing and strategic communications planning and execution
- Michael Herb, director of the Northeast Ohio Regional Fusion Center, one of eighty fusion centers in the United States recognized by the Department of Homeland Security
- Dr. Amira Jadoon is an assistant professor and a research associate in the Department of Social Sciences and the Combating Terrorism Center at the United States Military Academy at West Point
- Dr. Mona Jibril, Civil Affairs/Influence Analyst
- Micah J. Loudermilk, chief technologist with the global management and information technology consulting firm Booz Allen Hamilton
- Lieutenant General Paul T. Mikolashek (Ret), Highly Qualified Expert and Visiting Professor with the US Army War College’s Center for Strategic Leadership
- Thomas Panagopoulos, senior analyst at the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency (NGA) and a University of Akron Political Science BA and MA alumnus
- Tim Riley, Director of Global Security at the Cleveland Clinic
- Dr. Odean Serrano, former NASA Kennedy Space Center space shuttle operations engineer; National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency (NGA) Intelligence officer; founder of the Countering Wildlife Trafficking Institute
- Christiane Thompson has 25+ years of service for the Department of Defense. Her experience spans analysis, operations, and military planning and allowed her positions on four continents and two combat zones.
- Kathryn Schalow, Senior Advisor to the Policy, Programs and Resources Office of the Under Secretary for Public Diplomacy, US Department of State
- Wayne Stone, Senior Recanati-Kaplan Resident Fellow at Harvard University
See full bios