BA/BASW Field Education Information and Forms
Akron campus| Lakewood campus|Wayne college
Field Orientation Process
- Is it time for you to prepare to begin your field education experience? Congratulations! The below 4 steps will ensure that your process is Easy and Efficient. Be aware of your enrolled program & note some differences in each program.
- Step #1
Contact your Academic Advisor at your enrolled site [Akron campus, Lakewood campus, or Wayne college] in order to complete & sign your Undergraduate Student Academic Field Eligibility Form .
Akron campus students -This document requires electronic submission or in person to the field office prior to attending your Part I field orientation.
Lakewood & Wayne College students - follow the procedures outlined by your site.
- Step #2
Akron campus -Electronically register to attend both Part 1 & Part 2 field orientations (see below). No student will be allowed to begin their field education experience without attending both parts of the field orientation. Make-ups are not scheduled-please rearrange your schedule to attend.
Lakewood campus & Wayne college- register in person with your field contact person
- Step #3
All students- Send your completed Application for Field. Application should be electronically sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with the semester and year you anticipate beginning your field experience
(i.e. Summer or Fall 2017 )
- Step #4 Arrive early or on-time for field orientations. Immediately log-on with user id and password to university-owned computers or your assigned laptop in the assigned room| computer lab for your enrolled program. Orientations support blended learning: self-directed learning & instructor-led.
- Unable to attend the scheduled orientation sessions! Immediately contact your Academic Advisor and identify a different semester for you to begin field. No exceptions will be made.
- Excited and ready to start calling agencies? Stop! Please do not contact any field agencies prior to attending Part 1 Field Orientation. Let us get you prepared first. We do encourage you to take a look at the 200+ agencies, in 18 counties, and covering 16 practice areas in our web-based Agency Roster.
IMPORTANT! Note three (3) schedules to reflect three sites: Akron campus, Lakewood campus, & Wayne College | Take a moment & locate your site |
All undergraduate students entering field experience
Summer or Fall 2017- Check below for your program
- Entering Field Summer 2017 or Fall 2017
- Part I - Friday, March 3, 2017 | 9-11 a.m. or 12 noon -2 p.m.; Recent Change-Report to Room 497, Polsky Bldg First|Social Work Computer Lab- Online Registration - Completed
- Part I- 2nd Make-up Session- Friday, March 24, 2017, 6:30 p.m. -7:30 p.m. using online web-based system called WebEx- completed
Type this address and join Naomi White's room for online field orientation - https://uakron.webex.com/meet/naomi1
Join by phone +1-415-655-0003 US TOLL | Access code: 649 070 87
- Part II - Friday, April 21, 2017 | 9-11 a.m. or 12 noon - 2 p.m.; Social Work Computer Lab - Online Registration
- Please use our Online Registration system
- If you think you might be ready for field education- meet with your Academic Advisor - know you are ready
Lakewood Campus Students Only Field Orientation Schedule
Students entering their field education experience - Summer 2017
Contact Professor Janice Steinmetz | 216-221-1141
- Part I - Will occur during class time- Instructor will advise- completed
- Part II - Will occur during class time - Instructor will advise
Wayne College Students Only Field Orientation Schedule
Students entering their field education experience - Fall 2017
Contact Professor Lisa Crites | 330-972-8707
- Part I - Monday, March 6, 2017| Room A 226| 4 p.m. - 6 p.m.- completed
- Part II- Monday, August 14, 2017| Room A 226| 4 p.m. - 6 p.m.
Pre-Placement Training Activities
- Part 1- Agenda
- Part 1- Experiential Activity
- Part 1- Field Agreement
- Part II - Agenda
- Part II- Experiential Activity
- Part II- Field Agreement
- Undergraduate Field Education Overview (Orientation) Part I- Quick Overview
- Undergraduate Field Education Overview (Orientation) Part II-Quick Overview
Helpful tip to edit field documents using Word - Once word document is open, go to the top of the page and select View- then click on Edit. Your word document is ready for you to insert your specific student information.
Akron campus students - Plan Ahead | Entering field experience
- Thinking of entering field in Spring 2018 - Online Registrations coming soon!
- Part I - Field Orientation | Friday, September 22, 2017 | 9 a.m. -11:30 a.m. or 12:30 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.
- Location | All Orientations | College of Arts & Sciences (CAS)| Computer Lab |Room 103A
- Part II - Field Orientation | Friday, November 17, 2017 | 9 a.m. -11:30 a.m. or 12:30 p.m. -3:00 p.m.
Summer or Fall 2018
- Thinking of entering field in Summer or Fall 2018 - Online Registrations coming soon!
- Part I - Field Orientation | Friday, February 23, 2018 | 9 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. or 12:30 p.m. -3:00 p.m.
- Location | All Orientations | College of Arts & Sciences (CAS) | Computer Lab | Room 103A
- Part II - Field Orientation | Friday, April 6, 2018 | 9 a.m. -11:30 a.m. or 12:30 p.m. -3:00 p.m.
STUDENTS WHO ARE PREPARING TO ENTER FIELD EDUCATION
FORMS & PROCESSES
- Want to enter Field experience in Spring 2018
- Application for Field Education - All students entering field should have an updated application on file
- Undergraduate Student Academic Field Eligibility Form - All students should meet with their assigned Academic Advisor. Once completed, electronically submit this document to field contact person based on student's program
Field Placement Schedules (to secure a field placement by programs)
- BA|BASW Locate Field Placement Schedule: Entering Field Summer | Akron Campus - Word; PDF |Placement due by Wednesday, 4.19.17, 11:30 p.m.|
- BA|BASW Locate Field Placement Schedule: Entering Field Summer | Lakewood Campus - Word; PDF | Placement due by Thursday, 4.20.17
- BA|BASW Locate Field Placement Schedule: Entering Field Fall | Akron Campus - Word; PDF | Placement due by Wednesday, 4.19.17, 11:30 p.m.|
- BA|BASW Locate Field Placement Schedule: Entering Field Fall | Wayne College- Word; PDF | Placement due by Wednesday, 4.19.17
- BA|BASW Locate Field Placement Schedule: Entering Field Spring | Akron Campus - Word; PDF
- BA|BASW Locate Field Placement Schedule: Entering Field Spring | Lakewood Campus - Word; PDF
- Prior to Interview Choice (all programs) Form - This document requires submission after review of Agency Roster - No interviews are scheduled at the time of required submission of this form
- FERPA Form - Family Educational Rights & Privacy Act - Link to U.S. Dept of Education | allows for eligible students certain rights with respect to their education records
- Field at Place of Employment (FAPE) - This document requires completion if student is interested in having their field placement at their place of employment
- Field Manual/Code of Ethics Acknowledgement
- NASW Code of Ethics- Read the Code of Ethics prior to submitting the FERPA and Field Manual/Code of Ethics forms
- Field At Place of Employment Proposal ( all programs) (FAPE) -This document requires completion if a student is interested in having their field placement at their place of employment
- After Interview Choice (all programs) Form - This document requires submission after completion of two face-to-face interviews
- Social Work All Programs Field Placement Agency Acceptance Form - This document requires submission by field instructor/field agency on behalf of students scheduled to begin their field education experience
- Agency Response Sheet - This document helps your school in keeping agency information relevant & current
Welcome social work students to an extensive listing of potential field practicums available for both undergraduate and graduate students.
- Search by Agency Name, Program Type, County, Agency Practice Area, Agency Availability (coming soon)
- User-friendliness and relevance are our priority with this document. Your feedback is essential. Let us know if we met our mark to: email@example.com
- Identified an agency that is not on this list? No problem.
Check to ensure that there is a bachelor level social worker available to be your field instructor, this same social worker is employed by the organization for a minimum of one year and graduated, a minimum of two years from an accredited university.
- Public Child Welfare [ University Partnership Program (UPP) ]
- Education + Real world situations+ Tailored guidance = Competent Child Welfare Professional
- Do your research
- Inform Melissa McCollister, PhD., Campus Coordinator of your interest
Interview Preparation & Acknowledgment
- Sample Introductory Email to Prospective Field Agency/Instructor
- Sample Interview questions
- Sample Thank you note but I have chosen a different field placement
- Sample Thank you note and I plan to intern at your agency
- Guidelines for Practicum Selection
- University of Akron's Career Center In person and electronic assistance with creating the professional 'you': including, but not limited, to assistance with writing resumes, cover letters, thank you letters, and mock interviewing. A free resource for all students and alumni.
- Background Checks/Fingerprinting
Increasingly, agencies/organizations are requesting background checks: A BCI (state) and/or FBI (national) criminal record checks. On-campus fingerprinting and background checks are available-The University of Akron Police Department/Campus Police under $60. for both BCI & FBI.
- Immunizations/Tuberculin Skin testing
Health Services provide General Primary Health Care including:
Evaluation and treatment of uncomplicated illness and injury
Immunizations / Tuberculin skin testing
Academically required physical examinations
Referral assistance for health concerns beyond the scope of the department
- Professional Liability Insurance
Social Work students can purchase Professional Liability Insurance through the University for $20.00 per academic year. Hand deliver, Inter-office mail, or place in the mailbox of the Field Coordinator Naomi White, a check made out to The University of Akron.
Upon receipt and processing of your check, social work students will receive both an electronic version and a hard copy of a Certificate of Liability Insurance (Each claim- 1,000,000. & Aggregate - 3,000,000.).
Field Education Manual | Field Syllabi | Journal Outline
- Field Manual
- 7750: 493 - Undergraduate Field Agency I Syllabus-Semester I
- 7750: 494 - Undergraduate Field Agency II Syllabus-Semester II
- Holiday Policy
- 7750: 421-Field Education Seminar I- Syllabus | word; pdf
- 7750: 422- Field Education Seminar II- Syllabus | word; pdf
- 7750: 421 - Field Education Seminar I - Journal Outline | word; pdf
- 7750: 422 - Field Education Seminar II - Journal Outline | word;pdf
STUDENTS WHO ARE CURRENTLY IN FIELD PLACEMENT |PRACTICUM: FORMS
- Electronic submission process for all Field Education documents - Diagram
1. Field student electronically submits to task supervisor, if applicable; if no Task
Supervisor, submit to field instructor;
2. Field Instructor reviews for accuracy, sign via checkbox, send electronically to Field
3. Field Faculty Liaison reviews for accuracy, sign via checkbox, send electronically to Field
Student Integrative Learning Contract Forms
- FAQs Student Integrative Learning Contract
- Sample Student Integrative Learning Contract
- Learning Contract: Three Areas of Learning
- Blank Student Integrative Learning Contract
Documentation of Time in your Field Placement/Practicum
Student Field Evaluation Forms
- FAQs Student Evaluation
- Tips & Perspective towards the Evaluation process
- Field Evaluation Checklist
- Blank Student Field Evaluation Form
Social Work Licensing Information
- Professional Credentials & Exam Types
- Licensure Exam - CSWMFT Board Website
- Required Criminal Background Check - a BCI (state) and/or FBI (national) criminal record checks available on-campus: fingerprinting and background checks are available-The University of Akron Police Department/Campus Police under $60 for both BCI & FBI.
OTHER FIELD FEEDBACK FORMS
Complete these web-based forms at the end of each semester. No hard copies required.
- Field Instructor Feedback on Faculty Liaison
- Field Instructor Feedback on Field Coordination
Field Liaison Feedback on Field Agency