BA/BASW Field Education Information and Forms
Field Application Process, Schedules, & Documents
- Is it time for you to prepare to begin your field education experience? Congratulations! The below 4 steps will ensure that your process is Easy and Efficient.
- Step #1 Contact your Academic Advisor in order to complete & sign your BA/BASW Student Academic Field Eligibility Form (this document must be submitted electronically or in person to the field office prior to you attending your Part I field orientation)
- Step #2 Electronically register to attend both Part 1 & Part 2 field orientations (see below). No student will be allowed to begin their field education experience without attending both parts of the field orientation. Make-ups are not scheduled-please rearrange your schedule to attend.
- Step #3 Electronically send your completed Application for Field. Application should be sent to email@example.com with the semester and year you anticipate beginning your field experience (i.e. Spring 2016)
- Step #4 Arrive early or on-time for field orientations. Immediately log-on with user id and password to university-owned computers in the social work computer lab. Orientations support blended learning: self-directed learning & instructor-led.
- Unable to attend the scheduled orientation sessions! Immediately contact your Academic Advisor and identify a different semester for you to begin field. No exceptions will be made.
- Excited and ready to start calling agencies? Stop! Please do not contact any field agencies prior to attending Part 1 Field Orientation. Let us get you prepared first. We do encourage you to take a look at the 200+ agencies, in 18 counties, and covering 16 practice areas in our web-based Agency Roster.
UA Akron Campus Students Only Field Orientation Schedule
Social Work Computer Lab, Room 411
Two sessions: 9:00 a.m.-11:00 a.m. or 12:00 noon - 2:00 p.m. sessions are scheduled for both Part I and Part II.
On-line registration only- Select date, open electronic registration, select time frames, and submit. Registration closes based on the number of accessible computers in the social work lab.
- Fall Semester Orientation for Spring 2016 Field Education Experience - Part I
Online Registration Coming Soon!
NEW DATE! Friday, October 30, 2015: 9 a.m. -11 a.m. or 12 noon - 2 p.m.
- Fall Semester Orientation for Spring 2016 Field Education Experience - Part II
Online Registration Coming Soon!
NEW DATE! Friday, December 11, 2015: 9 a.m. -11 a.m. or 12 noon -2 p.m.
Helpful tip to edit field documents using Word - Once word document is open, go to the top of the page and select View- then click on Edit. Your word document is ready for you to insert your specific student information.
- Application for Field Education
- BA/BASW Student Academic Field Eligibility Form
- BA/BASW Field Application Orientation Schedule: Entering Field Spring -Akron Campus
- BA/BASW Field Application Orientation Schedule: Entering Field Summer- Akron Campus
- BA/BASW Field Application Orientation Schedule: Entering Field Fall- Akron Campus
- BA/BASW Field Application Orientation Schedule: Entering Field Fall - Wayne College
- BA/BASW Field Application Orientation Schedule: Entering Field Summer - Lakewood Campus
- BA/BASW Field Orientation Part I- Quick Overview
- BA/BASW Field Orientation Part II-Quick Overview
- Prior to Interview Form
- FERPA Form
- Field Manual/Code of Ethics Acknowledgement
- NASW Code of Ethics- Read the Code of Ethics prior to submitting the FERPA and Field Manual/Code of Ethics forms
- Field At Place of Employment Proposal - (FAPE) Form
- After Interview Form
- Agency Acceptance Form
- Agency Response Sheet
- Agency Roster - NEW Web-based roster
Welcome social work students to an extensive listing of potential field practicums available for both undergraduate and graduate students.
- Search by Agency Name, Program Type, County, Agency Practice Area, Agency Availability (coming soon)
- User-friendliness and relevance are our priority with this document. Your feedback is essential. Let us know if we met our mark to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Identified an agency that is not on this list? No problem.
Check to ensure that there is a bachelor level social worker available to be your field instructor, this same social worker is employed by the organization for a minimum of one year and graduated, a minimum of two years from an accredited university.
Interview Preparation & Acknowledgment
- Sample Introductory Email to Prospective Field Agency/Instructor
- Sample Interview questions
- Sample Thank you note but I have chosen a different field placement
- Sample Thank you note and I plan to intern at your agency
- Guidelines for Practicum Selection
- University of Akron's Career Center In person and electronic assistance with creating the professional 'you': including, but not limited, to assistance with writing resumes, cover letters, thank you letters, and mock interviewing. A free resource for all students and alumni.
- Background Checks/Fingerprinting
Increasingly, agencies/organizations are requesting background checks: A BCI (state) and/or FBI (national) criminal record checks. On-campus fingerprinting and background checks are available-The University of Akron Police Department/Campus Police under $60. for both BCI & FBI.
- Immunizations/Tuberculin Skin testing
Health Services provide General Primary Health Care including:
Evaluation and treatment of uncomplicated illness and injury
Immunizations / Tuberculin skin testing
Academically required physical examinations
Referral assistance for health concerns beyond the scope of the department
- Professional Liability Insurance
Social Work students can purchase Professional Liability Insurance through the University for $20.00 per academic year. Hand deliver, Inter-office mail, or place in the mailbox of the Field Coordinator Naomi White, a check made out to The University of Akron.
Upon receipt and processing of your check, social work students will receive both an electronic version and a hard copy of a Certificate of Liability Insurance (Each claim- 1,000,000. & Aggregate - 3,000,000.).
Beginning Spring 2014, the School of Social Work will encourage all students to purchase liability insurance.
Field Education Manual/Field Syllabi
YOU ARE CURRENTLY IN YOUR FIELD PLACEMENT/PRACTICUM: FORMS
Student Integrative Learning Contract Forms
- FAQs Student Integrative Learning Contract
- Sample Student Integrative Learning Contract
- Learning Contract: Three Areas of Learning
- Blank Student Integrative Learning Contract
Documentation of Time in your Field Placement/Practicum
Student Field Evaluation Forms
- FAQs Student Evaluation
- Field Evaluation Checklist
- Field Evaluation Instructions
- Blank Student Field Evaluation Form
Field Education Seminar Course Journal Outlines
Social Work Licensing Information
- Professional Credentials & Exam Types
- Licensure Exam - CSWMFT Board Website
- Required Criminal Background Check - a BCI (state) and/or FBI (national) criminal record checks available on-campus: fingerprinting and background checks are available-The University of Akron Police Department/Campus Police under $60 for both BCI & FBI.
Other Field Evaluation Forms
Please complete these web-based forms at the end of each semester. No hard copies required.
- Field Instructor Feedback on Faculty Liaison
- Field Instructor Feedback on Field Coordination
Field Liaison Feedback on Field Agency