Undergraduate (BA/BASW) Field Education Information & Forms
Field Education Information
Is it time for you to prepare to begin your field education experience? Congratulations! The below 4 steps will ensure that your process is easy and efficient. Be aware of your enrolled program and note some differences in each program.
- Contact your Academic Advisor at your enrolled site (Akron campus, Lakewood campus, or Wayne college) in order to complete and sign your Undergraduate Student Academic Field Eligibility Form.
- Akron campus: This document requires electronic submission or in person to the field office prior to attending your Part I field orientation.
Lakewood campus & Wayne College: Follow the procedures outlined by your site.
- Important to check with your Academic Advisor:
- 2.75 grade point average in social work courses;
- 2.75 overall grade point;
- Senior status with 90 credits completed (of 120 credits hour required for graduation);
No unresolved incompletes on academic record; and
Completed Practice I, Skills Lab, and Practice II courses before starting field education experience
- Undergraduate field education occurs in the final, two consecutive semesters of social work students' academic journey.
- Akron campus: Electronically register to attend both Part 1 & Part 2 field orientations (see below). No student will be allowed to begin their field education experience without attending both parts of the field orientation. Make-ups are not scheduled: Please rearrange your schedule to attend.
- Lakewood campus & Wayne college: Register in person with your field contact person.
- Send your completed Application for Field. Application should be electronically sent to email@example.com with the semester and year you anticipate beginning your field experience (e.g. Fall 2018).
- Arrive early or on-time for field orientations. Immediately log-on with user id and password to university-owned computers or your assigned laptop in the assigned room| computer lab for your enrolled program.
- Orientations support blended learning: self-directed learning & instructor-led.
- Unable to attend the scheduled orientation sessions! Immediately contact your Academic Advisor and identify a different semester for you to begin field. No exceptions will be made.
- Excited and ready to start calling agencies? Stop! Please do not contact any field agencies prior to attending Part 1 Field Orientation. Let us get you prepared first. We do encourage you to take a look at the 200+ agencies, in 18 counties, and covering 16 practice areas in our web-based Agency Roster.
- Part I: Agenda
- Part I: Online Undergraduate Experiential Learning Activity
- Part I: Online Student Agreement Field Signature Page
- Undergraduate Field Education Overview (Orientation) Part I- Quick Overview
- Part II: Agenda
- Part II: Online Undergraduate Experiential Learning Activity
- Part II: Online Teresa Palmer Case Study
- Part II: Online Student Agreement Field Signature Page
- Undergraduate Field Education Overview (Orientation) Part II-Quick Overview
- Sample introductory email to prospective field agency/instructor
- Sample interview questions
- Sample thank you note but I have chosen a different field placement
- Sample thank you note and I plan to intern at your agency
- University of Akron's Career Center In person and electronic assistance with creating the professional 'you,' including, but not limited, to assistance with writing resumes, cover letters, thank you letters, and mock interviewing. A free resource for all students and alumni.
- Background Checks/Fingerprinting
Increasingly, agencies/organizations are requesting background checks: A BCI (state) and/or FBI (national) criminal record checks. On-campus fingerprinting and background checks are available-The University of Akron Police Department/Campus Police under $60 for both BCI & FBI.
- Immunizations/Tuberculin Skin testing
Health Services provide General Primary Health Care including:
Evaluation and treatment of uncomplicated illness and injury
Immunizations / Tuberculin skin testing
Academically required physical examinations
Referral assistance for health concerns beyond the scope of the department
- Professional Liability Insurance
Social Work students can purchase Professional Liability Insurance through the University for $20 per academic year. Hand deliver, Inter-office mail, or place in the mailbox of the Field Coordinator Becky Thomas, a check made out to The University of Akron.
Upon receipt and processing of your check, social work students will receive both an electronic version and a hard copy of a Certificate of Liability Insurance (Each claim- 1,000,000 & Aggregate - 3,000,000)
- BASW Field Education Structure
- Field Manual
- 7750:493 Undergraduate Field Agency I Syllabus-Semester I
- 7750:494 Undergraduate Field Agency II Syllabus-Semester II
- Holiday Policy
- 7750:421 Field Education Seminar I Syllabus
- 7750:422 Field Education Seminar II Syllabus
- 7750:421 Field Education Seminar I Journal Outline
- 7750:422 Field Education Seminar II Journal Outline
Field Education Forms
- Prior to Interview Choice Form: This document requires electronic submission by student learner after review of Agency Roster. No interviews are scheduled at the time of submission of this form.
- After Interview Choice Form: This document requires electronic submission by student learner after completion of two face-to-face interviews.
- Agency Acceptance Form: This document requires electronic submission by field instructor/field agency on behalf of students scheduled to begin their field education experience.
- Field at Place of Employment (FAPE): This document requires electronic submission & completion by student learner if student is interested in having their field placement at their place of employment.
- FERPA Form- Family Educational Rights & Privacy Act - Link to U.S. Dept of Education | allows for eligible students certain rights with respect to their education records.
- Field Manual/Code of Ethics Acknowledgement
- NASW Code of Ethics: Read the Code of Ethics prior to submitting the FERPA and Field Manual/Code of Ethics forms.
- Agency Response Sheet: This document helps your school in keeping agency information relevant and current.
- Electronic submission process for all Field Education documents- Diagram
1. Field student electronically submits to task supervisor, if applicable; if no Task Supervisor, submit to field instructor;
2. Field Instructor reviews for accuracy, sign via checkbox, send electronically to Field Faculty Liaison;
3. Field Faculty Liaison reviews for accuracy, sign via checkbox, send electronically to Field Contact person.
Learning Contract Forms
- FAQs Student Integrative Learning Contract
- Sample Student Integrative Learning Contract
- Learning Contract: Three Areas of Learning
- Blank Student Integrative Learning Contract
- EPAS 2015 Example Learning Contract (Undergraduate)
- Documentation of Time in your Field Placement/Practicum
Student Field Evaluation Forms
Complete these web-based forms at the end of each semester. No hard copies required.