The University of Akron Strategic Plan
Promises and Aspirations
Viability and Investment
We promise to ensure the long-term viability of the University through innovation and investment in unique approaches that increase opportunity for students and reduce costs.
We will fulfill our promise by:
- Developing a budget model that incentivizes enrollment growth across the University, including those that involve interdisciplinary collaborations.
- Organizing faculty and staff efforts to promote increases in retention and progression.
- Increasing faculty and staff interactions with current and prospective students both on and off campus.
- Increasing regional yield and rebuilding non-resident (both international and out-of-state domestic) enrollments.
- Sharpening our storytelling of the Akron Experience—what students, faculty, alumni and the community gain from their interaction with The University of Akron.
2022 Progress Highlights
Collaborative Strategic Planning:
- The budget is being transitioned from a highly centralized model to a distributed all-funds model to enhance shared decision making and strategic investment.
Increased Shared Governance:
- The budget process includes the UC Budget and Finance Committee and the implementation of a faculty-led Academic Investment Committee (AIC) through Faculty Senate. The AIC is the result of the MOU on shared governance between the Akron-AAUP and the University.
Expanded Learning Communities:
- Building a common experience among students with more than 40 learning communities.
Hired a new Vice Provost for Enrollment Management:
- Dr. Stephen McKellips provides leadership while engaging in innovative approaches to enrollment management and decision-making in the areas of admissions, recruitment, financial aid services and enrollment.
Building Student Storytelling:
- UA Students were featured on Season 6 of the TV series, The College Tour, and were invited to share a day in the life of a Zip through takeovers of the UA social media channels.