Find healthy ways to express and manage your feelings in an effort to make positive personal decisions and successfully cope with the challenges life can bring.
- Manage stress effectively
- Cultivate an optimistic attitude
- Focus on solutions to problems and maintain a sense of perspective
- Develop social support from friends and family
- Get adequate rest and relaxation
- Accept yourself
- Engage in volunteering and service projects
- Counseling Center
- Comprehensive psychological services are offered to currently enrolled students at the Counseling Center for free.
- Help for students having personal or academic difficulties.
- ZipAssist serves as a central information hub, intentionally designed to connect students with the resources and support they need to be successful at The University of Akron.
- Dean of Students
- At The University of Akron you have the right to be free from sexual misconduct. If you need help, but don't know where to begin, start with the Dean of Students office. You will be able to learn and understand your options and get personalized support that's the best fit for you.
- Clinic for Individual and Family Counseling
- The Clinic provides high quality, low cost (or free) mental health services to the Greater Akron area. Counseling is provided to individuals of all ages, couples, families and groups.
- Student Health Services
- Student Health Services collaborates with the Counseling Center to provide care for mental health issues.
Community and national resources
- American Psychology Association
- The APA seeks to advance psychology as a science, a profession, and as a means of promoting health, education, and human welfare.
- National Eating Disorder Association (NEDA)
- Supports individuals and families affected by eating disorders, and serves as a catalyst for prevention, cures and access to quality care.
- Summit County Suicide Prevention Coalition
- Local suicide prevention support.
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
- A free, 24-hour hotline available to anyone in suicidal crisis or emotional distress. Your call will be routed to the nearest crisis center to you.