Mechanical Engineering Technology Bachelor’s Degree
Where engineers focus on innovation, technologists focus on application. Mechanical engineering technologists play an important role in aerospace, automotive, manufacturing, and consumer goods industries. They ensure products function and processes are optimized.
In The University of Akron’s Mechanical Engineering Technology program, students learn engineering fundamentals that will allow them to operate machines, test products, and improve the manufacturing process.
- Co-op and internship programs provide paid, flexible, industry experience and is a great way to earn money while getting experience.
- Learn the latest in engineering technology.
- Experienced faculty who are professional engineers and expert practitioners in their areas of expertise.
- Accreditation matters. The mechanical engineering technology program is accredited by the Engineering Technology Accreditation Commission of ABET, www.abet.org, and has specific program educational objectives and student outcomes that prepare graduates to enter the professional practice of engineering.
- Nationally recognized design teams to get you learning outside of the classroom. Make friends, travel, and build your resume.
- Flexible program that offers day and evening course options to facilitate current work schedules of students.
All students who meet the minimum requirements for admittance into The University of Akron and intend to major in mechanical engineering technology are accepted into the College.
If you are coming directly from high school, your high school records determine which first semester classes are right for you.
Admissions process: Learn how our engineering admissions process works.
Deadlines: Review deadlines and important dates in the Office of Admissions.
How to apply? See step by step details on how to apply to The University of Akron.
A degree mechanical engineering technology prepares you to design, test, manufacture and service the mechanical components and systems found in all facets of industry.
Recent UA grads with a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering Technology make an average median starting salary of $60,000.
Our graduates have taken jobs as engineering lab technicians, assistant design engineers, design drafters, and plant engineers. We have placed them at companies including Bridgestone, Diebold Nixdorf, Hendrickson, Honda, Parker Hannifin Corporation, Schaeffler, and Swagelok.
“The co-op office connected me to a fantastic local employer. I have spent three co-op rotations there and am currently still there part-time. I am getting paid good money for work that I enjoy very much and getting great experience.”
—Philip Margaria, majoring in mechanical engineering technology
Curriculum Guide & Courses
The BS in Mechanical Engineering Technology degree is accredited by the Engineering Technology Accreditation Commission of ABET, www.abet.org. The program has specific program educational objectives and student outcomes that prepare graduates to enter the professional practice of engineering technology.
For more information
Direct questions to:
Dr. Joan Carletta
Associate Dean of Undergraduate Studies
Scott A. Dilling, P.E.