Vision 2020 sets our University
on bold path toward greater prominence
In 2012, the University of Akron Board of Trustees gave its unanimous support to a new strategic plan called Vision 2020. The year 2020 is the 150th anniversary of the founding of the University, and the plan calls for bold initiatives and significant growth, including:
- Building on Charting the Course accomplishments, reach a $1 billion investment in student programs, faculty, research, campus and community
- A more than 30 percent increase in enrollment from the current 30,000 to 40,000 learners, including growth of students in and out of state, international students and e-learners
- $200 million commitment in annual research expenditures, including hiring 160 new faculty and staff
- Launching The Akron Experience, a new initiative that provides every student with a unique in-and-out-of-the-classroom learning experience to strengthen the connection between campus and community
- New criteria for enrollment and targeted learning pathways for each student to increase retention, graduation and job-placement rates
Download Vision 2020 [PDF]
Audio slideshow of Vision 2020 presentation to the Board
Narrated by President Proenza and Provost Sherman.
Vision 2020 in the news media
- Akron Beacon Journal editorial: "All about talent"
- Cleveland Plain Dealer editorial: "University of Akron branches out in preparation for sesquicentennial"
- Cleveland Plain Dealer: "University of Akron sets ambitious goals for 150th anniversary in 2020"
- Akron Beacon Journal: "President Proenza unveils vision for UA"
- Crain's Cleveland Business: "University of Akron trustees approve Vision 2020 strategic plan"
- Cincinnati Enquirer: "University of Akron looks to expand enrollment"
"...the University of Akron (is) seeing itself as part of something larger, its plan aimed at specific problems and needs, offering a pragmatic and grounded way forward. Here is the school welcoming the opportunity to take the lead, stating plainly and confidently: Follow us."
Editorial, Akron Beacon Journal, Jan. 22, 2012