About the Department of Mathematics
Department of Mathematics
Buchtel College of Arts and Sciences
The University of Akron
Akron, OH 44325-4002
College of Arts and Sciences Building
Dr. Kevin Kreider
Assistant to the Chair
Ms. Pamela Hoover
webmaster: Dr Stefan Forcey
Announcements for Spring 2021
- Seminars and Colloquia in algebra, combinatorics and PDE's.
- Join Pi Mu Epsilon! Anyone can join the student organization as a math club member (no requirements except loving math!) and then apply for honor society membership in the spring.
- Join our SIAM Student Chapter. Anyone can join the student organization.
- The Women In Mathematics group hosts seminars by female mathematicians on their research and career opportunities. Anyone can join the student organization
- Nov. 14, 2019, 4:15 in CAS 139. Buckling Problems Motivated by Bilayer Graphene and other Layered Materials, a talk from Dr. Pat Wilber.
- Oct. 21, 2019, 4:15 in CAS 139. Using five dimensions to identify a first cousin once removed: Phylogenetic Polytopes, a talk from Dr. Stefan Forcey.
- Sept. 19, 2019, 4:15pm in CAS 139. From Nerve Net to Vortex Ring: A Computational Modeling Approach to Medusan Biomechanics, a talk from Dr. Alex Hoover.
- The fall picnic was held Friday, October 11, 2019, 5:30 pm: The annual fall picnic at Sand Run Park Mingo Lodge (map) was hosted by the math student groups: PME, WIM and SIAM.
- Tutoring Hours TBA in the CAS second floor atrium (turn left after exiting the elevator). For students of Algebra for Calculus, Precalculus, Calculus with Business Applications, Calculus I, II and III
- April 5 and 6, 2019. We hosted the Spring Meeting of the Ohio Section of the Mathematical Association of America. Starting 1:15pm Friday April 5. For schedule and locations of talks and events, see the conference page.
- Representatives from Search Discovery, a data analytics consulting agency, will be on campus this Friday 4/5/2019 to give a presentation entitled
"Intro to Data Analytics & Marketing Consulting: Academia to Industry."
Learn about applying your education to analytics and marketing in the real world.
The presentation will be given by
Andrew Ash, Data Engineer Rachel Starvaggi, Digital Marketing Analyst Alex Fitzpatrick, Digital Marketing Analyst Julie Shallman, Analytics Analyst
The presentation will be held in CAS142 on Friday April 5th 2019 from 11-12.
- Thanks for a great 2019 Mathematics Banquet, hosted by the student organizations WIM, SIAM and PME, at 6:00 pm on the evening of Friday, April 26th, 2019 in room A of the Quaker Plaza. All are invited!
- Colloquium: Scott Schueller will speak on "Careers as a Quantitative Analyst: Math + Stats + Coding + Finance = Quant."
Friday, March 8, 2019
11:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
CAS room 134
- Engineering Talk: Thursday 3/7/2019 3pm-4 ASEC 122
"Machine Learning Applications at Sandia National Laboratories"
- Research Talk: Thursday 3/7/2019 3:45pm-4:45 CAS 135
"From Symmetry to Group Theory and Representation Theory"