About the Department of Mathematics
Department of Mathematics
Buchtel College of Arts and Sciences
The University of Akron
Akron, OH 44325-4002
College of Arts and Sciences Building
Dr. Kevin Kreider
Assistant to the Chair
Ms. Pamela Hoover
webmaster: Dr Stefan Forcey
Announcements for Spring 2019
- April 5 and 6, 2019. We are hosting the Spring Meeting of the Ohio Section of the Mathematical Association of America. Starting 1:15pm Friday April 5. For schedule and locations of talks and events, see the conference page.
- Representatives from Search Discovery, a data analytics consulting agency, will be on campus this Friday to give a presentation entitled
"Intro to Data Analytics & Marketing Consulting: Academia to Industry."
Learn about applying your education to analytics and marketing in the real world.
The presentation will be given by
Andrew Ash, Data Engineer Rachel Starvaggi, Digital Marketing Analyst Alex Fitzpatrick, Digital Marketing Analyst Julie Shallman, Analytics Analyst
The presentation will be held in CAS142 on Friday April 5th from 11-12.
- Save the date! The 2019 Mathematics Banquet, hosted by the student organizations WIM, SIAM and PME, will be at 6:00 pm on the evening of Friday, April 26th, in room A of the Quaker Plaza. All are invited!
- Colloquium: Scott Schueller will speak on "Careers as a Quantitative Analyst: Math + Stats + Coding + Finance = Quant."
Friday, March 8, 2019
11:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
CAS room 134
- Engineering Talk: Thursday 3/7/2019 3pm-4 ASEC 122
"Machine Learning Applications at Sandia National Laboratories"
- Research Talk: Thursday 3/7 3:45pm-4:45 CAS 135
"From Symmetry to Group Theory and Representation Theory"
- Thanks for a great picnic! Thursday, September 20, 2018, 5:45 pm: The annual fall picnic at Sand Run Park Mingo Lodge (map) was hosted by the math student groups: PME, WIM and SIAM.
- Seminars and Colloquia are currently scheduled in algebra, combinatorics and PDE's.
- Join Pi Mu Epsilon! Anyone can join the student organization as a math club member (no requirements except loving math!) and then apply for honor society membership in the spring.
- We have now an official SIAM Student Chapter. Anyone can join the student organization.
- The Women In Mathematics group is hosting seminars this semester by female mathematicians on their research and career opportunities. Anyone can join the student organization. Meet up weekly on days TBA.