SCHOOL OF MUSIC
Curriculum information for current students
Procedures and Links
- Students must be enrolled in at least one School of Music course to request a locker in Guzzetta Hall.
- Priority to 1) music majors, 2) music minors, 3) marching band members, 4) non-majors
- $20 key deposit for practice modules. Once you pay the deposit, the key will be ordered for you. The deposit payment serves as yoiur request for a key to be issued to you.
- Refunded when you return your key.
- Recital Tracker (Performance Seminar, MUSIC: 157) is only a requirement for undergraduate music majors.
To request the use of a room in Guzzetta Hall:
- Check the calendar for the room you wish to reserve to ensure it is available by clicking on the room number:
2. Once you have confirmed the room you wish to reserve is available, fill out the following request form:
Student Recital Request
- Enroll in the appropriate class for the type of recital you wish to perform (instructor approval needed).
- Junior and non-degree recitals - no class needed.
- Undergraduate seniors: MUSIC:457 Senior Recital (required)
- Graduate students: Sign up for MUSIC:698:001 Graduate Recital (required)
- Secure your recital date with your accompanist FIRST, approved by your accompanist and your applied instructor, before requesting your recital date.
- Read the accompanist request policies. Complete the accompanist request form.
- Confirm Guzzetta Recital Hall is available by visiting the calendar links listed above.
- DO NOT fill out the Room Request form for a recital. The Recital Request form serves as the hold on your request recital date and time.
- Off-campus recitals must be approved by your applied instructor and director, Dr. Marc Reed. Send proof of approval to Amy Carson (email@example.com).
- Non-degree recitals MUST be performed during the first eight weeks of the semester.
- Approved recital times:
- Monday – Friday, 7:30 p.m.
- Saturday & Sunday, 1:00 p.m./3:00 p.m./5:30 p.m./7:30 p.m.
- Once you have requested your recital date/time, you must secure written approvals from your applied instructor, area chair, and accompanist. Send proof of approvals to Amy Carson (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Pay the non-refundable recital fee.
- $50 (non-UA accompanist used)
- $100 (UA accompanist used)
- Recitals will be published to the main School of Music online calendar once all approvals and fees have been received.
Other recital request information:
- Set up time for recitals will be 30 minutes prior to the recital. Recitals will be limited to 90 minutes.
- Fill out the Room Request form to request rehearsal time in the hall, including your recital hearing. Amount of rehearsal time in the Recital Hall is dependent on the type of recital being given:
- Non-degree recital - 1 hour
- Junior Degree recital - 2 hours
- Senior/Graduate Degree recital - 3 hours
- All recital hearings must be completed three weeks prior to the recital. If you do not pass your recital hearing, please inform the area coordinator right away. Your fee will not be refunded.
- Should illness, campus closures, or other unforeseen circumstances prevent you from completing your recital on the reserved date and time, your fee will be reserved for one semester following the original date. Your recital must be completed within the first eight weeks of the semester. Extenuating circumstances are approved by the director, Dr. Reed.
School of Music Scholarships
Students auditioning to be accepted to The University of Akron School of Music are automatically considered for School of Music scholarships. No application for the scholarship is needed upon entrance to the School of Music for first year students.
If you have received a School of Music Scholarship in pervious years, you must apply to receive it again. Returning student scholarship applications must be completed by Friday, March 1, 2024 at 11:50 p.m.
Scholarship offers will be sent out after March 1 for returning students and after March 15 for incoming (first year) students. Once awarded a scholarship, both incoming and returning music students must formally accept the scholarship. The deadline for returning students to accept scholarships is March 15. Incoming (first year) first year students must accept scholarships by May 1.