Face-to-face tutoring in Bierce Library and the Polsky Building will be suspended until further notice. However, The University of Akron is a member of the Ohio eTutoring Collaborative, which provides an online eTutoring platform allowing undergraduate students currently enrolled at UA the opportunity to receive virtual assistance from trained tutors in the following academic areas:
- Anatomy & Physiology
- Computer Programming
- Computer Science
- C++ and Java
- Microsoft Office
- Writing Lab (Asynchronous)
To access tutoring assistance in these areas, please visit eTutoringonline.org.
Reminder: Tutors can assist with specific questions, but they are not course instructors and cannot teach course content.
If you have other concerns or inquiries, please email us at email@example.com.
Get free assistance with writing and math assignments
The University has two tutoring centers on campus that provide free assistance to currently enrolled students. The centers are located in Bierce Library and The Polsky Building.
Tutoring services are open and available the second week through the final instructional week of the fall and spring semesters. Tutoring services are unavailable the first week and exam week of each semester and are closed during breaks and holidays. Please call or stop in the Tutoring Center for summer hours.
Tutoring services available in Bierce Library:
- Bierce Math Lab (Room 69) is open from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Thursday, and from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Friday. Call 330-972-5214 with your questions. No appointments are needed.
- Bierce Writing Commons (room 68) offers assistance in the writing process for both undergraduate and graduate students in any discipline. Bierce Writing Commons is open from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Thursday and from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Friday. Please call for an appointment during the hours the lab is open (330-972-6548).
- Tutorial Services, located just outside Bierce Writing Lab, offers subject tutoring in a wide variety of disciplines, with an emphasis on General Education courses. Tutorial Services is open from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday to Thursday and from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Friday. Please call 330-972-6552 during lab hours to set up an appointment. Tutoring in math classes (up through Differential Equations) is available without an appointment.
- Learning Assistants Program: Specific sections of many courses include a trained Learning Assistant, who holds regular study sessions for students. The Learning Assistant Program provides assistance in the classroom throughout the semester, with professors and learning assistants working as a team encourage student success.
Show Bierce Library on a map.
Where to park: the North Campus Parking Deck and the East Campus Parking Deck are good choices.
Also check out:
Call 330-972-7046 or stop by the Polsky Tutoring reception desk on the third floor of the Polsky Building to make an appointment for these tutoring services:
- Polsky Math Lab offers faculty and peer tutors who can provide one-on-one help in courses ranging from basic math through calculus. Polsky Math Lab also offers tutors in biology, chemistry, and physics.
- Polsky Writing Lab has faculty and peer tutors who can help both undergraduate and graduate students strengthen their writing skills in writing assignments from any discipline.
- The College Reading and Study Skills Lab can help strengthen study skills and develop test-taking strategies.
Polsky Tutoring also can provide help with basic computer skills, including Microsoft Office and Springboard.
Hours: Polsky Tutoring is open:
- 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Thursday, and
- 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Friday.
Appointments are strongly encouraged, but walk-ins are available on a first-come basis.
Show the Polsky Building on a map.
Where to park: Polsky (or West Campus) Deck is a good choice, as is the Polsky surface lot.