Myers School of Art students win Akron awards for virtual exhibition
Once again, the American Advertising Awards was a triumph for many of our Myers School of Art graphic design students as well as faculty and alumni. The awards (ADDY) were presented by the Akron chapter of the American Advertising Federation (AAF-Akron), which held its 76th annual celebration on Friday, Feb. 19, live streamed from the Akron Civic Theatre.
Among the winners of AAF-Akron American Advertising Awards were 12 students, one faculty member and numerous alumni.
“As in years past, Myers School of Art really stood out,” said Melissa Olson, manager of student affairs for the School and a past president of AAF-Akron. “I’m especially proud of the 2020 class of graphic designers for their well-earned ADDYs for the exhibition they shifted into a successful virtual event out of necessity last spring.”
Amanda Ebert won the Student Best of Show for her Integrated Brand Identity Campaign for Korasada done at UA, which also earned a Gold Student ADDY. The Myers School of Art’s 2020 graphic design class, which designed the virtual senior exhibition “Augment,” won a Gold Student ADDY and two Silver Student ADDYs.
Jake Spinner ’20 won a Professional Gold ADDY for “UA President Card” done for The University of Akron Alumni Association.
Also taking home an award was faculty member Dave Flynn, who won a Professional Silver ADDY for “My Art Sketchbooks” done for the Myers School of Art.
“It was another fantastic year for The University of Akron’s Graphic Design Program at the American Advertising Awards,” said Janice Troutman, professor of art and director of the Myers School of Art. “I am extremely proud to be part of the Myers School of Art’s talented faculty who lead the students to become skillful, creative professionals. Congratulations to the faculty, students and alumni.”
Here is the list of other student winners recognized for work done at UA:
- Lydia DeVincent ‘20, Gold ADDY for “USBee” and Silver ADDY for “Senior Show Giveaway.”
- Kara DeVol, Gold ADDY for “Don’t Go with the Flo.”
- Natalie Metzgar, Gold ADDY for “The Birdhouse Calendar.”
- Brittany Ruth, Gold ADDY for “Switch to Sustainable.”
- Hailey Burris, Silver ADDY for “Campaign for Good – Call to Men.”
- Maria Englehart, Silver ADDY for “The Book Loft Brand.”
- Maria Groom ‘20, three Silver ADDYs for “Stinky Mac,” “Brown Sugar Honey,” and “Stance App.”
- Dzsenifer Hegyi ‘20, two Silver ADDYs for “Asana”
- Rebekah Sorensen, Silver ADDY for “Strickland’s Corporate Identity.”
- Jake Spinner ‘20, Silver ADDY for “Cast Iron Mac” and Gold and Silver ADDYs for “Colour.”
Media contact: Lisa Craig, 330-972-7429 or email@example.com.