52nd annual Ohio Band Directors Conference
Friday & Saturday, Dec. 1 - 2
The University of Akron Bands invite you to attend the 52nd annual Ohio Band Directors Conference. All concert performances will be presented in the Student Union Ballroom (3rd Floor) on the campus of The University of Akron. Parking is available in Lot 37 – off of Carroll Street (See on campus map).
Register for the OBDC Conference
No Pre-Registration is required for attendance - all events are FREE & OPEN TO THE PUBLIC
Performances & Presentations
The 2023 OBDC Conference will feature performances by:
- UA Wind Symphony - Galen S. Karriker, conductor
- UA Symphony Band - Gretchen Pohlman-Bassett, conductor
- UA Concert Band - Galen S. Karriker & Gretchen Pohlman-Bassett, conductors
- 2023 OBDC All-Star "Director Recommended" High School Honor Band - Marc Reed, conductor
- 2023 OBDC High School Honor Band - TBA, conductor
Featured ensembles will include:
- Canton Middle School 8th Grade Band - Jim Volenik, conductor
- Jackson High School Symphony Band - Michele Monigold, conductor
Guests will include:
- Guest Composer: William Owens
- Honor Band Guest Conductor: TBA
Highlights of the event will include the recognition of the OBDC Hall of Fame members and the 2023 Inductee. This award is given to an outstanding retired public school band director who has promoted excellence in music education throughout his or her career. This award is presented during the OBDC Honor Band concert, comprised of musicians representing high schools from throughout the state of Ohio.
We hope you join us for an exciting and rewarding day and please encourage your colleagues and students to attend the annual Ohio Band Directors Conference!
OBDC 2023 Schedule
Students can audition to participate in this year's OBDC High School Honor Band.
Director recommended students (no audition) can participate in this ensemble All-Star Band.
Prof. Development Credit
See how you can earn professional development credit.
Sign up now to begin receiving our free newsletter especially for Band Directors.
About the Ohio Band Directors Conference
The University of Akron has been host for the annual OBDC since 1974. Each year the focus of the conference is secondary music education and the UA Bands and School of Music sponsor a guest composer residency, as well as a guest conductor for the Ohio Band Directors Conference Honor Band. OBDC is generally held on the first Saturday in December on the The University of Akron campus.