The university of Akron, a publicly assisted metropolitan institution, strives to develop enlightened members of society. It offers comprehensive programs of instruction from associate through doctoral levels; pursues a vigorous agenda of research in the arts, sciences, and professions; and provides service to the community. The university pursues excellence in undergraduate education and distinction in selected areas of graduate instruction, inquiry, and creative activity.
Commitments: The university of Akron maintains a commitment to:
- Provide learning opportunities for the full spectrum of students;
- Create and discover knowledge through basic and applied research and creative activity;
- Create a learning environment with emphasis on a full collegiate experience for each student, leading to opportunities for cognitive, social, and personal development;
- Provide a forum for the examination of ideas and concepts and the generation of scholarly dialogue within the established principles of academic freedom;
- Encourage opportunities for interdisciplinary study and research;
- Strive for continued improvement of the teaching and learning environment;
- Prepare career oriented people for professional leadership roles in regional, national, and international organizations and institutions; and
Offer appropriate educational and professional services to its various constituencies within available resources and established continuing education and outreach philosophies.