Scott L. Scarborough
Scott L. Scarborough, Ph.D., served from July 1, 2014, to May 31, 2016. Highlights:
- Dr. Gary and Pamela Williams Honors College named in February, in recognition of $3 million bequest to Honors College. The Williams, who are alumni, have made lifetime bequests to the University exceeding $10 million.
- The Experiential Learning Center for Entrepreneurship & Civic Engagement opened in March, with Priceline.com co-founder Jeff Hoffman as founding director.
- The Center for Data Science, Analytics and Information Technology debuted in March with alumnus and retired Microsoft executive Dr. Mario Garzia as inaugural director.
- A low-cost general education course pilot initiative, delivered mostly online, is announced in April.
- Announcement in May of agreement for the creation of a National Center of Choreography with DanceCleveland and The Knight Foundation on UA campus.
- In August, UA enters partnership with LeBron James Family Foundation, providing free tuition for qualified youths in LJFF’s “Wheels for Education” and “I Promise” programs, and naming the College of Education for the organization. James commits to five-year promotional deal with UA.
- The Corps of Cadets and Leadership Academy is created in July.
- New student enrollment in Fall 2015 is higher than previous year, the first increase in new freshmen in three years.
- In December, the Zips football team wins the first BCS bowl game in school history, beating Utah State University 23-21 in the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl.
- In July, bond-rating agencies Moody’s and Fitch affirm UA’s bond rating and describe its financial outlook as stable.
- College strategic planning begins in August for all 9 of UA’s degree-granting colleges.