Admission to the Honors College
The Williams Honors College (WHC) welcomes applications from intellectually curious, self-motivated students like you who have demonstrated an ability to excel and are seeking opportunities to distinguish themselves at The University of Akron and onward.
Opportunities & Scholarships
Every student admitted to WHC is awarded an Honors Scholarship, on top of any other academic scholarships awarded at UA. Also, every admitted Honors student is considered for a host of additional scholarship opportunities for WHC students.
- Feb 1, 2022 — Deadline for prestigious scholarship consideration
- Apr 1, 2022 — Deadline for scholarship consideration, including optional letters of recommendation
Emerging Leaders Community
Honors students with extensive leadership experience may wish to apply for the Honors Complex Emerging Leaders Community. This is a residential community of students with leadership background, independent of college major, who are housed near each other on the fifth floor of the Honors Complex.
Participation in the community requires an extra application. See the details and the application for the Emerging Leaders Community.
How to apply
Consideration for admission to WHC will be on the basis of a holistic review. First consideration will be given to students with the following academic credentials:
- 3.50 GPA on a 4.00 scale
- 27 ACT composite or 1280 SAT (total)
- WHC has made submitting test scores optional as part of our holistic review process.
- Please be sure to answer the test optional question on the WHC application.
- Please note: If you have potential that might not be highlighted in your academic record, or if you are entering college after meeting other responsibilities, please include a letter describing your circumstances, accomplishments and goals with your application.
Deadlines: Similar to general UA deadlines, well-qualified students are encouraged to apply well before the deadline dates.
- Feb. 1 — Priority application deadline for admission and prestigious scholarship consideration
- Apr 1 — Regular application deadline for admission and scholarship consideration
- May 1 — Deadline for admitted students to accept your seat in the Honors College
Application: Follow the steps below to apply as a new freshman to the WHC.
- Complete the The University of Akron application
- Complete the WHC application below
Consideration for admission to WHC for transfer students:
- You have completed less than 64 credit hours
- A minimum 3.60 GPA
- If you have potential that might not be highlighted in your academic record, such as entering college after pursuing a career or meeting other responsibilities, please include a letter describing your circumstances, accomplishments and goals in your application.
- If you have accumulated more than 64 credit hours, please contact us to discuss if the Williams Honors College is right for you.
Scholarships for transfer students: You may be eligible for a renewable Honors scholarship of up to $2,500.
- For details see The Provost’s Scholarship for Transfer Students
- Apr 1 is the priority deadline for transfer applications for fall admission
Current UA students
Consideration for admission to WHC for current UA students:
- Must be currently enrolled at UA
- Have a minimum GPA of 3.60
- Have completed fewer than 64 credit hours
For questions or more details on how to apply as a current UA student, contact the Williams Honors College Admissions Office to make an appointment.
When to expect admission decision
Priority and regular application decisions
You will receive your admission decision a few weeks after submission of all your application materials.
College Credit Plus
Ohio students in grades 7-12 can enroll for free at UA to earn both college and high school credit.
See details about types of financial aid, how to apply for aid, and university scholarships.
Contact us & more
For admissions questions
Director of Recruitment & Student Services
Contact the Honors College
Address: 180 S. College St.
The University of Akron
Akron, OH 44325–1803
(see on campus map)