The H. Kenneth Barker Center for Economic Education presents
Largest Statewide Gathering of Financial Literacy Teachers
— July 6 & 7 —
Join us on campus at The University of Akron or virtually for this K16 hybrid event. See below to learn more about the conference, registration and see accomodations for those traveling.
Early bird registration pricing available until April 15!
- Conference highlights and topics
- Tentative schedule
- Exhibitors & Sponsors
- Location and travel accomodations
What to expect
- Credit & Debt
- Insurance & Risk Management
- Budgeting & Financial Planning
- Informed Consumer
- Economic Education
- Senate Bill 1 & Educator Licensure Validation
- Connect with your peers, share your expertise and learn from fellow educators.
- Inspiring keynotes and featured speakers, vendors, and industry leaders will be on-site.
- 30+ unique breakout sessions all facilitated by experienced educators, in such topics as budgeting and money management, credit and debt, investment, and insurance and risk-management.
- Practical tips and standards-based resources will be offered.
- Information on earning an Educator Licensure Validation in Financial Literacy through the Ohio Department of Education.
Invest in your career
- Your participation earns you an issued certificate of attendance to document contact hours.
- K12 educators are eligible to earn deeply discounted graduate credit. An additional fee of $200 per hour, up to 2 hours.
Schedule is subject to change as we get closer to the Conference dates.
|Thursday, July 6||
8-8:30 a.m. Check-In
**Dinner on your own**
6-8 p.m. Billiards & Bowling Social Event
|Friday, July 7th||8-8:30 a.m. Networking Breakfast
8:30-9 a.m. Opening General Session
9:15-10 a.m. Program Session 4
10:15-11 a.m. Program Session 5
11:15 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. Program Session 6
12:15-2 p.m. Lunch & Keynote Speaker
2-2:30 p.m. Closing General Session and Presentation of Awards
In person registration will be available on the day of the Conference but at a higher fee.
- $147 — Early bird rate until April 15
- $199 — Regular rate
- $20 — Discounted rate for enrolled UA students
Your registration provides access to:
- All conference sessions that feature national and state leaders in industry and financial education
- Vendors and exhibitors with the latest instructional resources and publications
- A certificate for contact hours
- Eligibility to purchase and earn discounted graduate credit
- Continental breakfast and snacks
- Free parking
- Guest Wi-Fi access
- A welcome reception
Exhibitor & Sponsor Information
Your involvement gives you incredible access to a diverse group of K16 educators, administrators, and community partners. Sponsors and exhibitors help the conference continue to be an event that both elevates and sets the standard for teaching financial literacy.
See the Exhibitor and sponsorship opportunities here.
Not seeing a sponsorship that meets your unique needs and goals? Let us know! We are open to exploring creative ways to collaborate to optimize the conference experience.
- Any additional representatives, beyond what’s included in your sponsorship tier, should register separately as a conference attendee.
- Please have your main contact for your exhibit booth register as the Exhibitor.
- Pre-approved marketing to be distributed in marketing bags must be mailed to the H.K. Barker Center by June 1, 2023.
- The H.K. Barker Center will facilitate the scholarship application, selection process, and coordination of Conference registration.
All sessions will take place in the Jean Hower Taber Student Union at 303 Carroll St, Akron, OH 44325.
Check-in will start at 8 a.m. each morning. Parking passes, more information and conference program will be sent to registered participants and guests ahead of time.
A courtesy room block has been arranged with:
Courtyard by Marriott Akron Downtown
41 Furnace St.
Akron, OH 44308.
- Group rate: $122/night
- Last day for group rate: Monday, June 5, 2023
To receive the established group rate, you must identify yourself as members of the Teaching Financial Literacy Conference initially when making the reservation.
Reserve your room online here or call the hotel directly at 330-252-9228.
- A limited number of Standard Double Queen Bedrooms and Standard King Bedrooms have been held on July 5th and/or July 6th.
- These rooms are available at a discounted rate of $122.00/night + tax.
- Parking is complimentary self-park in front of the hotel as well as east of the hotel building.
All reservations must be received on or before the group’s cut-off date of June 5, 2023. Reservations made after the cut-off date will be subject to availability and the best available rate. At the cut-off date, the hotel will release the unreserved rooms for general sale and determine whether it can accept reservations at the group rate after this date based on available space.
Individual room reservations may be canceled without penalty charges if notice is given 48 hours prior to arrival. If guest does not have a valid cancellation number prior to this time, guest may be subject to a cancellation charge of one night’s room and tax.
See other nearby hotel options.
We strive to host inclusive and fully accessible events that enable all individuals to engage comfortably and successfully. To request accommodations or if you have any inquiries about accessibility email Dr. Brad Maguth.
Contact Mrs. Taylor Sminchak at firstname.lastname@example.org or 330-972-5866.
H.K. Barker Center for Economic Education
Zook Hall, Suite 401
The University of Akron
Akron, OH 44325-4210